Super STOL Build Pics

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Super STOL Build Pics

Post by Familyflyer »

I am going with the 914.

Here is the skylight fitted and finished. I used 3/16 holes, I hope it works well for expansion and does not move around too much. I did the same on the windshield per Steve's instructions. A large hole is a good idea.

Here is how the transition from the windshield to the skylight looks. Steve has done a great job forming the glass. Its a no brainer way to go. I also used 090 for the skylight and bent the close out plate for a tight fit.

I closed off the sides of the seats to allow for fabric. You will notice the required slot for the rudder cable to run through bottom plate.

Here is the front spar attachement. You can see how the rib attached and the front closure plate works. There needs to be a hole above and below the pin for pin removal.

Here is the aft spar attachment. You are also seeing the close out fairing I built for the trailing edge. I still need to put a hole in the texan for bolt removal.

To Continue....
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

This is the strut attachment. The skin needs to be trimmed for the strut to fit. You also need to fabricate close out panels.

Here is the pitot attachment. Unfortunately this location fowls the elevator when I fold the wings, so it will be moved in one bay. I like to be able to remove the pitot to prevent damage during construction and this set up works well.

The first wings had the last rib toed out. Now the webs are flush with the skin and toed in. You still need to reinforce them with a plate. This is how I reinforced the ribs. I added nut plates for easy wing tip removal for wing inspection.

Here is the trasition from Flap to aileron.

This is the front lift strut attach point. Wing ribs need to be trimmed down in this area for them to work.

Here you can see the tank attachment and the drag tube. The tank support has rivnuts for #6 screw that hold the tank in place. You can also see I primed all the inside of the skins.

Working on the close out panels. I will use riv nuts and nut plates for attachment. #6 screws.

I just got my pre cover inspection so I should be starting fabic work on the weekend.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

orenjr wrote:Thanks! for the update Troy.This will be a great help to me when I get there.
Do you have a closeup picture of where you spliced the floor board?
Thanks! Oren
Here you go. Basically added a nuplate everywhere there was no floor support from the tubes. It is split on the center of the pushrod.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Thanks!Troy
You are doing a fantastic job.
Great attention to detail.
Thanks! Oren
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Post by orenjr »

Troy
After I split the floor board I bent it up 90 degrees which gave a lot of stiffness to the floor board.
Bend is just inside the cover about 1/2" high. will add nut-plates tomorrow.
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

Troy: your pictures are as almost as good as a build manual but the good thing is you ideas. The problem I am having is how to terminate the bottom stringer because the tail wheel gear will not allow a termination similar to the highlander. One thing I did do is add a cover to protect the flap and aileron cables at the bottom forward part of the cargo compartment.
Thanks for the help you are providing everyone
Wayne
Tombat74
Forum Regular

Post by Tombat74 »

Troy have you kept track of the amount of time you have into the build so far? The niceties and detail that your adding to the build are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product! AWESOME JOB!!!
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Tombat74 wrote:Troy have you kept track of the amount of time you have into the build so far? The niceties and detail that your adding to the build are awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product! AWESOME JOB!!!
I am about 400 hrs in. That is not real accurate though. It based on the number of weeks I worked on it. I put about 25hrs a week in, plus/minus.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Wmilbauer wrote:Troy: your pictures are as almost as good as a build manual but the good thing is you ideas. The problem I am having is how to terminate the bottom stringer because the tail wheel gear will not allow a termination similar to the highlander. One thing I did do is add a cover to protect the flap and aileron cables at the bottom forward part of the cargo compartment.
Thanks for the help you are providing everyone
Wayne
The stringer stops short, just make sure the end is higher than the fabric. You should post a pic of your closure. Sounds like a good idea.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

This is what I did for the seat back adjustment. Just a no 10 nut plate installed with pop rivets
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

The close out for the front of the cargo area to protect the cables. A 3/4 flange aft 3 1/2 high 3 1/4 deep and a 3/4 flange coming down to which the adel clamps fasten to nut plates. The holes on the left was a miscalculation .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wmilbauer
Forum Regular

Post by Wmilbauer »

When I was doing the forming I my mind was some ware else and I turned the aft flange in instead of out that is the reason oft the tabs
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

excellent idea, those exposed cables were always on my mind.
Steve D N419LD
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I started covering the project and it has taken 3 weeks of evening and weekends to cover the fuselage. Here is how it looks.

I added the static ports on both sides just behind the luggage bay.

Here is the inside view.

I also added a plate for the transponder antenna. The angle on the plate is to attached a wire to ground the plate the airframe.

Here is the underside of the fuselage where the tail wheel shock comes out. I added a plate to close of the opening at the most aft end. I feel the tabs for the cover would have been better on the underside as the plate is "sunk" into the fuse to work. I also added an inspection hole for screwing down the plate for the ELT.

This is what the fabric side looks like framing into the aluminum angle I added. Covering to the bottom longeron and eliminating the angle is likely easier.

Aft fuselage.

So now it is on to covering the wings. I still need to lace the elevator and tape all the empennage. I am expecting the wings to be less work.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Troy,
Beautiful work!! you want to help me with my Carbon Cub? :D
Steve D N419LD

Return to “Just Aircraft”