Wing parts question

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
richjen

Wing parts question

Post by richjen »

Need a little help.
I am just beginning the construction of my Highlander wings, and was making sure I had all the parts I am supposed to have. I came to the wing brackets and they were labeled and bundled with tape all together. (Part numbers W-0410.0 and W-0480.0)
The inventory list says I should have a total of 24 pieces.
First off I am not sure which part is which, and there is a slight difference between the two...one to be used for the ailerons, and the other style to be used on the flaps.
So my first question is which is which?
Next, the list says I should have 6 pieces of each one, drilled and undrilled. Here is what I have in this bundle of plates.
6 'longer' drilled pcs
12 'longer' undrilled pcs
12 'shorter' drilled pcs
18 'shorter' undrilled pcs.
So the next obvious question is why do I have so many extra parts if the inventory list says I am only supposed to have 6 of each ?
Thanks in advance for any answers that can clear this up for me.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Wing parts question

Post by danerazz »

Assuming you are building the std. highlander, the "drilled" and "undrilled" parts are aluminum plates that are attached to the wing ribs by sandwiching them on either side, protruding through the aluminum trailing edge. You should have 24 total plates, as you said 12 long and 12 short with half of each being drilled. Each hing point uses 2, and there are 3 hinges per surface, 6 total per wing. It looks like you have a significant excess.

As for which is which, the one that would put the hinge point both higher and further aft are the AILERON brackets, and the ones that would be forward and down are the FLAP brackets. The SHORT points that actually attach to the control surface spar tubes are the AILERON hinges, and the LONGER ones are for the FLAPS.

Just remember when assembling everything that the aileron hinge point is close to the aileron spar, and the flap hinge point is forward AND down compared to the aileron hinge.

My manual has a page that relates the hinge points, but I don't know what the newer manuals show.

Hope this helps.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
richjen

Post by richjen »

Thanks Dane,
This is just the information I needed ! Now...I think I have an even bigger problem. I think the manual I have is not the right one. Some of the dimensions given in this assembly manual are WAY off from the parts I have on hand. For example, the manual says my ailerons should be 72 1/2" long, and yet mine measure 82". Same situation on the flaps. The manual says they should be 68 7/8" and yet mine are 78". They are the correct ailerons and flaps for my wing, because when matched up to the wing everything looks 'proper'. But that leaves me in a bad situation, because now I can't trust any of the 'given' dimensions in the manual to be the correct ones for my 'quick build' wings.
Rich
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Sounds like you have the Escapade manual not the Highlander. Call the factory and talk to Jak.

They used to have the build manual on the old website, but I'm not sure where to find it since they changed the look of the site.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Contact Lynn at the factory. She can get you the new digital manual.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Speaking of the new digital manual, when was it made? I wouldn't mind having one, if it is revised from the CD that I was given back in February 2012. At the very least, maybe just to know what the updates are. . .
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I'm not sure what the latest changes are, but the basic files date to 2011.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
richjen

Post by richjen »

I just contacted Lynn at the factory and she is sending me a CD of the latest build manual. So hopefully that will answer a lot of questions. Good thing I had not gone any further in the building of the wings ! I could have made some expensive mistakes. But it is a good thing we have the Forum to check things out with fellow builders first. We "shouldn't" have to do things that way, but it is good to know everyone is out there willing to help.
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

richjen when did you get your kit? Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
richjen

Post by richjen »

Jak
My kit is one that was purchased in 2006 and changed hands twice before I bought it. It was never started by either of the first two owners. It is serial no. 122
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

That explains volumes to me. The corrected version of the manual didn't come out until around ser# 150 to 160 somewhere in there. Call Ms. Lynn and get a cd version and you'll be good. Buy the way as long as you have 6 of each of the above part your covered you can send the rest back at your convenience if you wish. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.

Return to “Just Aircraft”