SuperStol 51%

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
kenryan
Veteran Member

SuperStol 51%

Post by kenryan »

Anybody know if the SuperStol has been evaluated for the 51% rule yet? If not, is it scheduled?
Super Stol Kit #299
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: SuperStol 51%

Post by Familyflyer »

I was hoping it would have had that done a while ago. The list is just out and it is still not on it. It did not sound like a high priority when I was asking for it. I needed to pay for an extra inspection, $400, since it was not approved. Troy seemed to think it was of little benefit, I assume the rules are different south if the boarder but it sure would help us up here. How does the 51 approval help you guys?
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

I've been dragging my feet waiting as well. I'm in Canada also and for a build that is not on the 51% list we have to have an inspection of the 'parts' before the build for a one-time 51% type approval. The inspection is $400, but I have to pay mileage for the inspector, and if they send me a guy from wherever (they don't just send the nearest one) it could cost me twice that. There are 3 or four other Super Stols here or ordered in Canada...it's adding up. Also, if I didn't have to get that 51% inspection I could start the build at the factory..do as much as I wanted up to the pre-cover inspection. I was down to Calgary and Troy Branch gave me a tour of his build a couple weeks ago. Makes me wish we were neighbors when I get started...Troy has RV experience and is an excellent builder..
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
Jakkals

Post by Jakkals »

I, too, have had to pay the $400 to schedule a 51% inspection -- everyone of us in Canada will have to make this 'contribution' until the factory gets the SuperStol on the list.
In my case there is also an approx. 450Km round trip for the inspector involved @ $0.55/Km.
All of this seems just a bit silly seeing that a number of SuperStol kits must already have been inspected in Canada.

Pieter de Vos
Evansburg, AB
Pieter
Augustus
Seasoned Member

Post by Augustus »

October 2013 issue of KITPLANES magazine says that the National Kit Evaluation team has been contacted. Also, "For anyone buying a kit today, it is almost a certainty that the kit will be approved before they complete their airplane."
SuperSTOL 332
Ed T.
N202ET
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

In the US the list just makes it easier to prove it is amateur built. No extra inspection, just makes the inspectors (and your) job easier.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”