New Catto Prop for the Rotax

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
stede52
Premium Member

New Catto Prop for the Rotax

Post by stede52 »

Catto has developed a new 2 blade for the rotax, checkout the take-off distance: https://vimeo.com/82305542
Steve D N419LD
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Re: New Catto Prop for the Rotax

Post by Strasnuts »

I just ordered a three blade Kiev. I wonder which one is better? Any comments from Troy?
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Troy loves the prop(82X38) and will be putting one on his STOL. Catto is currently making a 2nd generation of the prop, I assume with improvements.
Personally I would cancel the Kiev and order the Catto. The Kiev is a great prop but don't ever brake a blade because it will be 6-12mos to get a new one. The two blade prop gives you the big diameter disk you want for short field performance and that is what the STOL is all about :)
Steve D N419LD
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Any idea what pitch Catto might use on this prop for the Rotax 914?
Super Stol Kit #299
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I called Catto this morning about getting one of his props for my 130 hp Rotax. I feel like I just have to try it out since Troy is so enamored with the one he has.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Ken,
I think the best thing to do is call Craig Catto, he can work all that out for you.
Steve D N419LD
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

This prop is a game changer. I bought one yesterday!
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

This prop is a game changer. I bought one yesterday!
Levyland: Would you mind providing a few details? Maybe price and did the purchase include spinner, backing plate, prop extension, etc.? From what I can tell, it's a 2-bladed, fixed-pitch prop, either wood, composite or combo wood/composite.

Having flown many hours behind fixed pitch props, while they are indeed simple..............always a compromise from a performance standpoint. 3-bladed props, either fixed or constant speed, are usually smoother and climb better, but this slow flying is new to me so looking to be educated.

Thanks.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Howdy Mark,

So when I ordered my kit the whole prop thing blew my mind, Rotax owns 90% of the LSA market so you would think that someone would be covering all of the bases in the prop department. However all of the props were for go fast airplanes and or of go cart quality. I had talked to Craig Catto and he said he was in development of a new prop for the Highlander but he did not know when it would be completed. Troy was sold on the Kiev, one small problem if you broke it you were looking at up to six months to get a new one. Being in NZ that didn't work for me. SO I did a bit of research and I liked the quality of the Whirlwind because of the nickel formed leading edge, and being in San Diego I could easily get a replacement. Plus they have one of the best looking spinners on the market. The problem is that the prop does not perform anywhere near the Kiev on takeoff. So to answer your question I am not exactly sure of the price yet, but I do know Craig to be an honest guy, and treats folks fairly. I am going to use my Whirlwind hub and Craig is going to order a new spinner from Whirlwind and cut it out for me. To me the video tells the whole story. I talked to Troy and he told me there was about a 10 mph headwind, however what was the takeoff roll 15'? Troy said there was no difference in cruise. Craig is currently working on MKII but he is pretty close to the real deal there. Hope that helps Cheers,

john
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Thanks John!

Yes, Whirlwind makes a good, great-looking product. I've used one myself, but with a 300 hp engine! I've heard essentially the same report from others regarding the lower horsepower prop.............doesn't provide the takeoff performance of a Kiev.

Obviously, the Catto prop is still a "work in progress", to some degree. As more details emerge (cost, accessories available, etc.), hopefully folks will post and we can all become more informed. In the meantime, I'll probably keep my Kiev on order. Getting very close to mounting my 914 and want to finish fitting-up cowl, boot, windshield, etc. before going any further.

That said, Catto lives just down the road from me and a trip to his shop might be worthwhile.................once he gets a few more Highlander/SuperSTOL props cut under this belt! If I learn anything.............I'll post.

Thanks again.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
stede52
Premium Member

Post by stede52 »

Mac,
Taking to Craig Catto is a the thing to do, I fly his prop on my Highlander and the LSA Carbon Cub uses them exclusively. He builds his props on a CNC machines which insures identical blades, vibration free running and max blade performance. They're made with a maple core and carbon fiber shell and come with a nickel leading edge. They are works of art :) When talking to Craig you will find out how tailwheel STOL aircraft like the Highlanders, super cubs, etc, get the best take-off and climb performance by using a two bladed prop with the longest length the engine can handle. That's why you will see long two bladed props on 98% of back country supercubs.
Steve D N419LD

Return to “Just Aircraft”