Grove gear

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

Grove gear

Post by alan »

I see on the Just Aircraft website that they offer "Grove Gear" as an option. Has anybody fitted this to a Highlander?

I have changed out my bungees four times now. The next time there might be an "upgrade" instead. It seems like there would be a significant reduction in drag but maybe an increase in weight.

I betcha Jak would know.

Alan Kit #0087, flying w/581hrs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
jak
Veteran Member

Re: Grove gear

Post by jak »

WE only recommend the grove for nosewheel have to ask Troy why. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

My question would be why are you having to replace your bungee gear so often? I have 350 hours on my plane and still have the original bungees and the plane sits up straight. :?:
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

I have Grove gear on my Highlander S/N 28 which we completed 6 years ago and am happy with it. There are a couple of things to think about when you install the Grove gear. One is that you have to modify the forward gear bracket for the hardware to hold the gear on. This would probably not allow you to change the gear back to it's original configuration without a rework of the bracket. Also it might affect a float installation. Not sure about that though. The other thing of significance the tube on the middle if the bottom. I made the mistake of installing it before the gear and had to remove it and shorten the standoffs. However overall not a difficult job. I don't think I would change from the standard configuration on a completed airplane. It would require re-skinning the belly. Since you have a completed project enjoy what you have. There is a few pounds weight penalty for a couple of knots speed but there's no way you're going to make mach .82 with a Highlander no matter what you do.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Thanks for the replys.

Since I have a very early Highlander the factory went through several versions. First was just two bungees, one per side. After changing to four bungees they changed the bungee size. My last change-out was with the same, current, size and number of cords. These might have been worn because of the covers rubbing in flight. The reason I changed them was fraying at the corners. See the attached picture (the two cords with detached loops were just to make it easier to remove them). I now fly without the covers, so maybe that will allow more time between replacements. Just in case UV exposure is a problem, there now hangs a used bungee outside the hanger fully exposed to the sun during the day. It has been there for over a year with no apparent ill effects. I pull on it strongly every now and then and it remains serviceable. In July I will have 8 years and more than 600 hours on our Highlander.

Gil, thanks for the info about the bottom tube. I have no desire to recover the bottom just for that, especially with Jak saying for "tri-gear" use only. I'm not looking for a faster Highlander, just safer and less maintenance.

Keep 'em flying.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I have heard that oil contamination can have an effect on the bungees, that's why I put the covers on mine. You could protect the bungee corners with Kydex or Thin Film Polyethylene (aka 1 gallon milk container) if you want to put the covers back on. I'm installing protection on mine after seeing your picture.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview

Return to “Just Aircraft”