Airmaster Feedback - Steve Henry?

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
markdille

Airmaster Feedback - Steve Henry?

Post by markdille »

Steve,
I know you've had quite some time with the Airmaster, and I was wondering your thoughts and if you went away from it on your new Superstol, or is one on that plane as well. I'm seriously considering this option, and figured if there was anyone to put a component through the ringer, it would certainly be you. Any thoughts, positive or negative? Thanks.
markdille

Re: Airmaster Feedback - Steve Henry?

Post by markdille »

Or anyone else, of course, if they've had or currently have one. Certainly not cheap, but fairly inexpensive considering the performance improvement and flexibility.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I have Airmaster electric prop with about 180 hrs. so far it has performed flawlessly, has impressive pulling power. I would also look at the new catto prop that went on troy's new SS. may be able to get by without the extra weight. steve is probably out playing, you will hear from him during the week.
markdille

Post by markdille »

Out of curiosity, what aircraft are you flying it with, and which control module and blades do you have?
P.S. I've only ever heard excellent things about Catto props, and that crosses many different types off aircraft.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I am running a 914 on highlander with rage landing gear conversion. takeoff in 250 feet or less and landing in less than 200 ft. the prop performs well and the rage landing gear system tames the landings down considerably. having a lot of fun with this setup, engine is so quiet, my neighbors hardly know I am flying.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I have warp drive blades and I dont remember the control module number, but I can go from takeoff to climb to cruise or switch over to change the pitch to whatever I want.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I think the Airmaster props are excellent in their construction and the way they function. I don't like the 26 pounds that they weigh. My 130hp turboed motor makes so much more power at full throttle than it does when cruising that the prop was hardly changing pitch from TO to cruise, so I replaced it with a 75" Kiev ground adjustable and saved a bunch of weight. I used Whirlwind for a while and they are well built, easily available, made in America, beautiful props and they are nice for cruise but the Kiev totally blows the doors off it on take off and climb out.
I have a Catto on order that I'm very anxious to try.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Messenger, Have you posted photos of the Rage Landing gear on this site? I don't remember anyone posting photos of an actual installation on a Highlander. There has been lots of talk about the new gear under development and I have seen photos of the gear installed on other aircraft but not the Highlander. How do you like the gear's performance? Sorry, I don’t mean to change the topic of this thread. Perhaps I missed an older thread and I am hoping you can point me in the right direction. Thanks. Joe B
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

yes there is a previous thread about the rage system but I think the photos are on backcountry pilots website. If you find the previous thread there is a link to the rage gear with pics. PM me if you have more questions. glad to talk about it. RLM
markdille

Post by markdille »

Just curious, what is the total weight difference between the ground adjustable and the Airmaster for your set up with the Kiev?
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

26 pounds verses I think 9 pounds.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

what was the type and length of blades you had on the airmaster.

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I have the Kiev 75" blades on my Airmaster. I'm running that prop on my new HLDR (110 hp big bore Rotax) at this time because I already had it and because it works pretty well overall. It cruises real well but it doesn't take off nearly as well as a long 2 blade Catto or Prince. I've been doing quite a lot of prop testing lately and I just recieved a new Catto 84-45 this afternoon that I'm anxious to try out.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,
I am starting to get the impression that the props for a CSU are going to have follow a similar trend that you are showing with your fixed props testing program, ie blade length had got to count, maybe then the airmaster or any other unit will be more effective??
Allan
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Steve, What Big Bore kit did you use on your Highlander engine and did you do the modifications yourself? Did your modification start with the 912 UL or the 912 ULS? Perhaps I missed this somewhere in the forum but you have not talked much about your latest Highlander. I don't think you have published a photo of your latest Highlander that I recal. Hint. Hint. I have been reading about the big bore engines. They look to be a good way to get more HP and I know Troy loves his. I don't know what kit/mod Troy used on his either. I know of atleast two sources for the modified cylinders and pistons. I never realized how sensitive the props can be on these engines. Sounds like your testing may prove to be very valuable to the Highlander community. Perhaps you could put together a spreadsheet with the details of each combination you have looked at. Perhaps that would make the performance of the combinations easier to compare. We are so lucky to have a guy like you flying a Highlander & a SS on our forum. Awesome! Joe B

Return to “Just Aircraft”