New Style Doors

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mac
Seasoned Member

New Style Doors

Post by mac »

The SuperSTOL's come with material for the "New Style Doors". I'm currently working on such, have recently rec'd the latest instructions, but wonder how builders have worked with the Lexan "warping" that is required............before it attaches to the frame. That part is a bit marginal in the instructions.

As many of you might know, the Lexan cover is continuous , with no separate window assembly. But, due to the center crossmember, which protrudes out a bit, either the Lexan needs to be installed as two pieces or a cut needs to be generated at the centerline of crossmember, which would allow for some kind of fold-over.

The factory folks have implied on the phone that this cut would start at the aft end of the door and proceed forward to the high point of the crossmember, where a small hole would be drilled to prevent further..........cracking. Then some kind of fold is accomplished, due to the geometry of the frame. I may not have that exactly right.

Before I start cutting (I've already ruled out heat forming after a few feeble attempts on scraps and no pizza oven in my hangar! :D ), I'm wondering if someone would post a pic of what they did and/or what the factory might have done for them. I think their might be a couple of different looks in the field already.

Thanks ahead of time folks.
Mark M.
N49SS in Phase 2....for good!
accent air
Seasoned Member

Re: New Style Doors

Post by accent air »

I did mine in two pieces I tried to heat as well to no avail I will be posting pictures of my completed super stol this week
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
Gary H
Veteran Member

Post by Gary H »

Could you post some pictures of the new doors. I haven't seen them. I bought an early kit (#106) and it came with real welded doors. Are the new ones like a challenger door???? just aluminum tubes? Would like to see them.
Thanks
Gary H
Will fly for food!!
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

Gary: Attached are the "new door" instructions dated Dec, 2012. The instructions give you a pretty good look at the general arrangement, but I'm still looking/hoping for close-ups of the Lexan attach.

Kris: Thanks for feedback on Lexan. Looking forward to pics of your completed SS. Congratulations!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark M.
mac
Seasoned Member

Post by mac »

One additional comment about the new door instructions. The pictures show the use of square tubing for the frame. Apparently, this was only done once at the factory, when the pics were taken and the practice was discontinued. The kits, mine included, were shipped with round, aluminum tubing for the frame.

Works essentially the same, but per the factory, the alignment/rigging work is easier and the cost of the material is considerable less. Makes sense.
Mark M.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

On my list of To Do's is to remove the window frame section on the doors of my original Highlander. It is just extra weight and moving parts that are not required IMHO. It will look a whole lot cleaner.

I never have even thought about using the windows, and it is hot as can be where I live. If I am hot, I open the whole door.

I plan to remove the window frame out of top part of the door. Rivet a 1/2 x 1/2" L-shape piece of aluminum where that piano hinge attaches to, and rivet the top piece of lexan to it, and the door frame.

A proper door latch is also envisioned down the road.

Return to “Just Aircraft”