Wing Fix Suggestion

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
lsaguy

Wing Fix Suggestion

Post by lsaguy »

First the caveats. I am neither builder nor owner of a JA aircraft. I'm a LSARM and Rotax mechanic who got called upon to help first with engine troubles, then with the gig list from the A & P who did the annual. One of them was for the displacement of both ends of the root rib on both wings that indicated the Hysol bond had failed. I spent the better part of two days grinding out the old Hysol and rebonding the ribs so I had a lot of time to examine the structure. Based upon that, I'd like to offer a suggestion to JA builders.
Put an aluminum clip on the outboard side of either end of the root rib to account for the spanwise shear load imposed by the covering fabric so there is a mechanical attachment as well as a chemical one. I realize this may take some doing on the rear spar because of the close quarters to the fuel tank but it looked like a small clip could be attached if care was used.
Should you find yourself in the same position as my friend, let me share one more tip. Fully cured Hysol 9460 dulls hi speed steel cutters in less than a minute. Fortunately Dremel has a nice little carbide, ball nosed cutter that is up to the task. Yes, they cost more, but they cut faster and keep an edge.
Hope this helps.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bay State Flatlander
Forum Regular

Re: Wing Fix Suggestion

Post by Bay State Flatlander »

I am not there yet on my build but the manual calls for wood blocks to be wedged between the root rib and tank to address bowing of the rib when covering. Is there enough space to put two more blocks at the leading and trailing edges?

Has anyone else seen the separation at hysol to rib either at the root or elsewhere?
Thanks
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Rick,

I would be interested to know whether this was a quick-build wing from the factory or a wing assembled from parts by the builder and also how long ago this aircraft was originally built.

Thanks,
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I too am kind of curious about the prep work on the spar tube.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”