Door Re Mod

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Door Re Mod

Post by HS-JAT »

I always thought my doors could use some improving. Still looking for a good idea for a better door handle system.

- Removed the Window out of the door. It is hot in Thailand, and I never have used the window. It is just more parts to be moving around IMHO. I have two snap vents that provide plenty of air.

- Repainted and then wrapped the door frames in 1 inch 3M 8674 protective tape. Good for keeping them looking good, corrosion and chafing free

- Drilled additional holes to secure the window lexan to the door frame. Also added a 1/2 Aluminum Angle at the top of the door frame for the lexan to rivet into (Where it use to rivet into the window frame. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... mangle.php

- Used the same rivet holes to rivet the bottom of the window lexan to the middle door frame.

- Covered / Trimmed out the whole door with sticker material. Since I had to use the old lexan (Hard to find), I also needed something that would plug up all the old holes. It did a great job on all.

- I also added a small strip of spare lexan I had to help seal up the forward section where the window meets the fuselage. There was too wide a gap there originally.

As a side note. There was another thread about EXPERIMENTAL placarding. Mine is next to my door, because my original inspector wanted it there. I might just change it up now that the plane is registered and that guy probably forgot, or could care less.

Also I decided to add a Faux rear side window. Only cost about 10 cents of gray sticker.

For those who would balk at covering up any glass. The bottom part of the door normally has your leg resting up against it, not much difference at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Door Re Mod

Post by danerazz »

Looks good. One question, I have not flown mine yet (or even finished the doors) and understand the door latch is "simple" to say the least, but I have no idea how it actually works from a practical point of view. Does the stock latch not hold the door shut adequately in flight? I see a lot of complaints but no specifics on what people don't like about it, and now would be a great time for me to try to figure something out if I need to.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Re: Door Re Mod

Post by HS-JAT »

Simple - Yes

Works - Yes

Can it be improved - Definitely

The current stock door latch does work. There is enough spring provided from the lexan contacting the sides of the fuselage to put enough friction on that simple door latch to hold. To close it you pull on the latches ring, and twist it either way. The window latches in the doors for my aircraft were always on the loose side.

The problem is that when the door is open, it flops around to the down locked position by gravity. It eventually gets beaten on the outside door edge. You then you have to twist it to get it over the door sill. Most new passengers seem to have a problem figuring it out, as simple as it is.

One of these days I will get into putting on a handle from a Zenair, which is pretty much a normal handle. (Had a pic but can't find it). The frame will require some welding, as well as a catch lever mechanism.

Another advantage of an upgraded handle would be the ability to lock it, just to keep casual people honest.

The bottom line is that you can get away with the standard latch for the life of the plane probably, but if you are one who strives to innovate/upgrade things, this will be one thing that will be on your list.

Anyone who has a good door lever/latch...please show it off!

Return to “Just Aircraft”