Aileron and Trim Tab Fabric

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Aileron and Trim Tab Fabric

Post by jjacky »

Hi All ...I'm doing the fabric on trim tab and Ailerons and I am curious how you laid the fabric down on the trim tab and how you finished the ends of the Ailerons. ....Thanks in Advance for your help....jbird
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Aileron and Trim Tab Fabric

Post by gkremers »

jbird,
These are aileron/flap pics from the factory, I did something similar. My trim tab was covered the same as any of the other tail surfaces. Start with the lower fabric glued to the frame. Top fabric overlaps the bottom fabric by 1". everything is just smaller!!

Gary
102_0277.JPG
102_0278.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Great! Thanks Gary.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

If you look up Brian Ewert's build on Kitlog he filled his ends with pieces of wood similar to the ribs that are used to build the flaps and ailerons. Looks like it cleans up the ends real nice. I would assume you would use a thin plywood similar to what is used in RC modeling. Perhaps this link will work. http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 501&row=19. Joe B
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

His pictures sure look like fabric to me.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I did mine in the opposite order...
I figured by putting the ends on first, the fabric wrapped around the aileron or flap helps to hold the ends on. After all the work I have put into covering now, I realize that the Stewarts Ekobond is so strong, the order is likely irrelevant. Either way you do it will likely be fine. By the time you add the pinking tapes on the edges and multiple layers of primer and paint, it will look pretty much the same and be very strong without adding any wood to the ends!
Dan
20130103_235338.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Ewalk02
Seasoned Member

Post by Ewalk02 »

I actually just used fabric for my ends, it just looks like wood in the pictures. I covered everything then put a "cap" of fabric on the end. After you add finishing tapes you can't tell what came first.
Brian E.
Kansas City, MO
Highlander #223

Return to “Just Aircraft”