Clear flexible fuel line

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Clear flexible fuel line

Post by Chief »

Guys, I'm looking for clear flexible fuel line for the section of line between the wing tanks and the header tank. I'm not crazy about the black hose, and the best rated hose I have found for fuel is blue; not exactly ideal for blue fuel. I want to see the fuel in the line en route to the header because there is a point that the fuel in the wing tank can get low enough, with a slight upward angle line of sight you can no longer see it. I have a 3 gallon header tank, but if running that low I would like to see blue in a clear line. I need something rated for fuel that won't discolor or get hard quickly. Any suggestions?

Chief
messenger
Seasoned Member

Re: Clear flexible fuel line

Post by messenger »

try lockwood aviation in sebring, fl, or whoever is your rotax dealer in your area. they have a heavy wall thickness clear tubing suitable for fuel. RLM
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Chief wrote:Guys, I'm looking for clear flexible fuel line for the section of line between the wing tanks and the header tank. I'm not crazy about the black hose, and the best rated hose I have found for fuel is blue; not exactly ideal for blue fuel. I want to see the fuel in the line en route to the header because there is a point that the fuel in the wing tank can get low enough, with a slight upward angle line of sight you can no longer see it. I have a 3 gallon header tank, but if running that low I would like to see blue in a clear line. I need something rated for fuel that won't discolor or get hard quickly. Any suggestions?

Chief

Now that is great idea!

Let us know if Lockwood has
something suitable!

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
HS-JAT
Veteran Member

Post by HS-JAT »

I use glass fuel filters. Fuel tank, valve, filter then into header. Can get a visual on FF, sediment, water and filter status. No issues with leaks. Also very happy with Parker fuel hose. No fuel odor ever.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Many thanks to you both. I like the inline filter idea. Also found the following:

"Fast Flow Fuel Line is a high performance product designed for even the most extreme motorsports conditions. It is transparent, which allows you to see fuel flowing through the line."
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's a link to the Fast Flow Fuel Line manufacturer's site: http://fuel-line.com/.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

I have some see through filters, as well, and I have
also purchased some additional fuel valves for isolation,
but I have not installed them. I really don't like the
idea of adding more leak points!

The clear tubing seems to be the ultimate
solution for me!

I do have a factory supllied filter in the keel.

Good thread.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Thanks All. Decided on and ordered the clear 3/8 ID clear flexible fuel line from Fuel Line Guy on EBay. Product was designed for extreme engine conditions (whatever that means -it won't be near an engine on my plane) and the wall is 1/8 inch thick. Had to buy 20 feet for $24 so I'm good for change-outs through year 2052. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chief - SH
rmullins
Veteran Member

Post by rmullins »

I've yet to find any clear fuel line that can hold up to Ethanol. Not a problem if you can find auto gas without it. It's hard to find in my area.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

I have a Rotex 912S. I fly out of New Castle International Gliderport (NCI) north of Roanoke, VA. We have 100LL and auto gas on the field and we test for alcohol. However this engine uses higher octane than necessary for a Super Cub tow plane. I will need to place a fuel caddy on the field and transport auto gas, tested to ensure its alcohol free.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

Hey guys,
I've been interested in finding an alternative fuel line for my plane for 2 reasons. 1 is because I can smell the fuel in my cockpit and I finally decided there is no leak - the odor is just coming through the fuel line. 2nd reason is I would like to be able to see the fuel in the lines. I thought the clear fuel line would be a good idea but I e-mailed the company "fast flow fuel lines" and they told me they would not guarantee the line from yellowing due to sunlight and they also would not guarantee it against the effects of ethanol in the fuel.
I guess I'm still looking. I found some "3/8 low permeation fuel lines" meant for marine use, but I haven't found a dealer who sells it.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I use the kit supplied fuel hose from tanks to header tank, and the blue fuel line for a return from the 912ULS to header tank. I can see the fuel flowing through the return line and have no fuel odor in the cockpit. I always use mogas with alcohol (plus occasional avgas) and the thing runs great. I don't ever go to extra trouble or expense to get alcohol free mogas.

I agree with Johnny C
I have
also purchased some additional fuel valves for isolation,
but I have not installed them. I really don't like the
idea of adding more leak points!
, I've done assorted service procedures on my fuel system and clamped the fuel lines with these pinch pliers: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/t ... key=632991 I've got two pair and they work just as well as valves and use them anywhere in the system. I recently used them to drain both tanks and didn't spill a drop in the process. Also, if you were ever to end up with broken gear and fuel is spilling out of the fuel cap vent, you can stick a piece of tubing over the vent tube and clamp it shut.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview

Return to “Just Aircraft”