Quick build wing

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
rnk

Quick build wing

Post by rnk »

The folks at Just Aircraft seem to be really pushing the quick build wing kit. For those of you who have used it, do you think it was worth the extra cost.

I will be building on a very tight budget, as I am sure many of are, and I am wondering if this is someplace that makes sense to spend additional money. On a related note, I would be interested in hearing how any of you have been able to keep your costs down.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Quick build wing

Post by danerazz »

Are you building a standard highlander or SS? I am building a standard kit, and opted for the QB wings and wings set to fuselage, as well as the leading edge wrap factory installed. The $600 I paid for having the factory jig and glue the ribs in place is nothing compared to the time and space it would have required for me to do it (I am building in a very small space). If I had to build jigs it probably would have cost a couple hundred bucks. The leading edge wrap install was very expensive (in my opinion), though if you are opting for that they install the wing tanks for you as well. The wings set to fuselage gets you the root reinforcements installed, and the strut attach points installed. I'm not sure which option got the "I" beams in the spars, but they are in there, and correctly. I also feel the large fuel tanks are well worth it, though perhaps slightly expensive as well.

Overall, I feel the QB options are well worth it, especially if you are time-limited by outside forces as I am (work, family, etc.). It all depends on what you want to do: build or fly, or have time for both. The cost of a couple thousand extra bucks at the beginning compared to what you will have in this thing when it flies is really minimal, and time savings are significant, and there is still plenty of tedious wing work fun to be had.

With all that said, if your budget is REALLY tight, you can scale back and do a little more work. I still think the QB wings and large fuel tanks are well worth the cost.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I agree with danerazz on the value of the QB wing, well worth it. Don't know how well equipped and experienced you are with this kind of work, but setting wings to the fuselage is not too difficult. On a budget I would eliminate the leading edge wrap.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
rnk

Post by rnk »

Thanks for the input guys. This would be a first time build for me.

Anyone out there who has gone the "do it yourself" route care to comment?
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

In the six years I've worked there only 2 have went out slow build I strongly recommend quick build. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.

Return to “Just Aircraft”