AOPA Pilot Magazine

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

AOPA Pilot Magazine

Post by mhcrowder »

For those that get AOPA Pilot Magazine, there is an article in the March 2014 issue on Just Aircraft and the SuperStol (pages 58 - 65). Still in the process of reading it, but looks good so far....

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
av8rps
Veteran Member

Re: AOPA Pilot Magazine

Post by av8rps »

Yeah, AOPA did a really nice job on that article. And it was so nice to see Gary and Troy be acknowledged for creating one of the most innovative and timeless aircraft designs in history. It couldn't have happened to two better guys.

The only thing not covered well in the article in my opinion is an explanation of just how practical the Highlander and/or SS is when used as a regular aircraft, not just as a monster truck kinda airplane. Load carrying capabilities, huge cabin and baggage, and folding wings are HUGE bonuses in addition to incredible off airport abilities. It truly is in its own class for STOL, but it also will satisfy most pilots every day needs as well.

Oh, and for the record, the Highlander Super Stol borrowed from four (not just two - in my opinion) of the best stol planes in history. The Helio Courier for its wing, the Pilatus Porter for its gear, the Fiesler Storch for combining the slatted wing with a high impact gear, and last but not least, the Avid Flyer for the original design concept that helped to bring about the original concept of the Highlander we have today.

After reading the article to the end I paused to reflect for a moment... and recognized how lucky I am to have one of these marvelous machines!
dauckjl
Seasoned Member

Re: AOPA Pilot Magazine

Post by dauckjl »

Thanks for the heads up on the article!

Here's the online version with a video:
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... _stol.aspx

Return to “Just Aircraft”