Auto Pilot

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Auto Pilot

Postby moving2time » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Reading through the rudder discussions on the Rudder Bungee thread got me thinking. How would you install the auto pilot servos on a Highlander that are necessary to operate an Auto Pilot system? The aileron and elevator are both push pull systems but the rudder is only pull pull. Seems I remember people on this forum that have installed an Auto Pilot system on a Highlander so how do you connect the rudder on the Highlander to a servo? Am I missing something? I currently fly a CTLS, and it has a Auto Pilot system, but it's rudder does not have slack in it like the Highlander. The auto pilot is a great accessory when flying. It so nice to be able to spend all my time sight seeing the landscape below, I mean, scan the area for traffic! OOPS. :D
moving2time
Veteran Member

Re: Auto Pilot

Postby sonex293 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:51 pm

The experimental's I have flow and the one I built only had servos on the Elevator and Ailerons. The Rudder was trimmed, such that in a normal cruise flight you could fly with your feet off the pedals, but during climbs or other power setting, the Pilot was the Rudder Auto Pilot. I'm looking to add Pitch and Roll servos to my Highlander build. If anyone has ANY pictures of AP installations in the Highlander, SuperSTOL, or Escapade, please post them!

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
sonex293
Veteran Member

Postby danerazz » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:17 pm

I'd venture to say MOST general aviation autopilots are 2-axis (pitch/roll only) with some only being roll, you trim the pitch to hold altitude and the autopilot just turns/levels the wings.

I think an autopilot on a highlander defeats the purpose of the plane, but I guess I could see some use to it. The ailerons would need a capstain servo.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Dynon Roll Servo

Postby BRS » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Highlander pitch servo installation.

Instead of starting a new thread, this one seems like a good place to post this. I'll try to get some shots of the roll server and post that info here later.

Pitch servo, here are some pictures of my pitch servo installation. I got the generic install kit. Swapped one of the heim joints to a 1/4 bore X 1/4-28 thread and just used a longer bolt on the elevator side of the mixer. I cut about 1/2" off the linkage tube then tapped both ends to 1/4-28. It worked out that using the last hole on the short arm that the arm travel was just about 5˚ (on each side) shy of the 60/60 safety limiter.

Performance: out of the box with no adjustments to the skyview (software 11.x) the autopilot captures and holds altitude to within +- 10˚. I'm very happy with this. Note worthy is that on the ground the highlander elevator is heavy and the servo can't hold it up, in flight this is not an issue at all. So just remember to help it a bit on the stick while doing the initial calibration.

Changes, I might change how the mounting plate holds the tubing though what I have now seems quite secure. I'm open to ideas. Also I'll probably install some sort of tether on the servo side of the linkage arm up to the push tube. I can't imagine this linkage failing but if it were it could fall down in front of the servo making up elevator problematic.
Attachments
_20141001_132552.JPG
Pitch servo intalled.
_20141001_222201.JPG
Bottom of pitch servo mounting plate. Notice that the bolts are such that the plate can't slide forward or rearward. Be sure to drill accurately so the bolts just about touch the tubing. Shrink tubing on the shank will help keep it from chafing the powder coat.
_20141001_222231.JPG
Top of pitch servo mounting plate.
BRS
Forum Regular

Postby kenryan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:23 pm

Here's how I mounted my elevator servo. It allows full control deflection when attached to the middle hole on the servo arm. It seems it will work good, but hasn't been tested.

autopilot-elevator-1.jpg
Elevator Servo 1

autopilot-elevator-2.jpg
Elevator Servo 2

autopilot-elevator-3.jpg
Elevator Servo 3
Super Stol Kit #299
kenryan
Veteran Member

Postby kenryan » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:33 pm

Here's how I mounted my aileron servo (before safety wiring). I added an extra aileron pulley so the servo cable can loop back and connect to the control cable right where it exits the doghouse. It seems like it will work good, but hasn't been tested.
autopilot-aileron-1.jpg
Aileron Servo 1
autopilot-aileron-2.jpg
Aileron Servo 2
autopilot-aileron-3.jpg
Aileron Servo 3
Super Stol Kit #299
kenryan
Veteran Member

Postby sonex293 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks guys for all the pictures. The pitch installation was exactly how I thought it would be, very similar to a previous airplane installation. Thanks Ken for the Aileron (Roll) servo installation. Anyone have other Roll Servo Installation methods and/or pictures?

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
sonex293
Veteran Member

Postby danerazz » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:41 am

I was considering installing one and was planning on putting it under the turtledeck with a capstan servo on the interconnect cable. Never did it so can't say how it would have worked, but that was my plan.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Postby dennis123 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:52 am

danerazz wrote:I was considering installing one and was planning on putting it under the turtledeck with a capstan servo on the interconnect cable. Never did it so can't say how it would have worked, but that was my plan.

i would recommend you to take advise from those who had already installed this then try this. here people can give you there remarks and may be that can help you out
dennis123

Return to Just Aircraft