Auto Pilot

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Auto Pilot

Post by danerazz »

I have had a 7” lathe for probably 15 years and don’t use it often, but when I do it is usually a bunch all at the same time, and it is doing something that would be nearly impossible without it. I wish I had a mill...maybe next year.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Resurrecting an old thread for more information. I am getting ready to purchase a Dynon auto pilot pitch servo and was wondering which mounting kit to get? Is the generic kit best for the SuperSTOL or are any of the RV kits better? I can' t find any real descriptions of the differences in the kits.

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
yellow highlander

Post by yellow highlander »

I saw this thread and thought that my recent installation of a Dynon autopilot system might be of interest to others making plans. My plane was already covered, so
we decided to mount the pitch servo under the left seat and connect the push-pull tube directly to the bottom of the control stick. With the servo mounted under an aluminum plate (which also serves as the mounting plate for the ADS-B receiver and the transponder). I did not like the idea of putting the servo aft of the baggage compartment. First it would be difficult to work back there (I weight too much and am too big to fit easily), second inspection is a problem and the under seat access is great (I put a quick release pin in the seat attachment). Perhaps worth noting, I did not buy the connection blocks for connecting the servos as I thought a simple connector would be better. Less connections/fail points, lower cost!
Pitch servo.jpg

The roll servo is mounted under the turtle deck on the structural member using Adel clamps.
Roll servo 3.jpg
The capstan drive connects to the control wires and pulls in-line with the aileron cable going over the mount in a tray machined from nylon.
Roll servo 2.jpg
The capstan wire goes under the mount. The location seems to be the most direct connection to the ailerons thereby reducing SLOP to a minimum.
roll servo 1.jpg

The roll servo added a bit of resistance to the lateral movement of the control stick, so we added Spades to neutralise the effort. They work very well!
Spade.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

I was trying to figure out how I missed your original post, and finally realized it's over in Wings Forum Introductions at http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=24177.

Welcome aboard.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”