Superstol performance and handling - 130 hp

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Superstol performance and handling - 130 hp

Post by Allan »

Hi,
Does any one have any performance and handling notes for the superstol, preferably with the 130 hp engine? although my aircraft hasnt arrived yet I am getting my navigation and other skills refreshed.

Things like aircraft weights, climb rates, fuel consumption at climb and cruise etc etc-it will give me something to work on with my nav prgrams.

Thanks

Allan
john2
Veteran Member

Re: Superstol performance and handling - 130 hp

Post by john2 »

Hi Alan,

Which 130hp engine are you asking about. If it's the UL Power it might be a few weeks before you can get some good info as there is a list member that has just finished his UL powered SS. If your talking about the turboed Rotax that is modified and estimated around 130hp then Steve Henry should be able to tell you all you want to know.
And then there is Steve Dentz that has quite a bit of time in a UL powered Highlander. Last discussion I remember hearing was when he flew in Idaho with Steve Henry (who at the time was in his first Highlander with 100hp Rotax) and the performance was just short of the 100hp Rotax. That may have changed as he was still playing with props etc. Hopefully they will chime in.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

John,

Thanks for that, yes the rotax 130.

Allan
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

Mine weighs 850 with 29's, climbs 1,000 to 1,500 fpm, and burns 6 to 6.5 gph @ 98 mph.
What an incredibly fun airplane it is. Had around 15 mph headwind at my local airport the other day and I was landing in the length of the airplane. Take-off was about the same. I went around several times and I would land 4 or 5 times down the runway each time around.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Rick Moss

Post by Rick Moss »

Not wishing to drift the thread, but I do wonder where you guys get your weight from!

My 912 Escapade weighs 266kg/585lbs with a full analogue panel and VP prop.... No Airstreaks, but nowhere that would make them worthwhile in Britain!
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Thanks Steve,

Been also thinking of a fuel bladder for some of the long trips I will be doing - hence the reasons for fuel consumption and cruise numbers. If I go that way it is better for me to fit the (removable) bladder setup before the airworthiness certification.

At home when I say that the paddock people are standing in is my airstrip I get them looking at me sideways - then I show them your video and that always blows them away!

The superstol has a lot more suspension etc weight - its a penalty in one way but it does things that other aeroplanes can only dream about - thats why they invented airstreaks - for other aeroplanes to try to save their landing gear! Useful for superstols though.........

Allan
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Steve,

You got your Catto yet? Has it made any difference to cruise and fuel consumption?

Allan
Rick Moss

Post by Rick Moss »

Allan wrote:Thanks Steve,

Been also thinking of a fuel bladder for some of the long trips I will be doing - hence the reasons for fuel consumption and cruise numbers. If I go that way it is better for me to fit the (removable) bladder setup before the airworthiness certification.

At home when I say that the paddock people are standing in is my airstrip I get them looking at me sideways - then I show them your video and that always blows them away!

The superstol has a lot more suspension etc weight - its a penalty in one way but it does things that other aeroplanes can only dream about - thats why they invented airstreaks - for other aeroplanes to try to save their landing gear! Useful for superstols though.........

Allan
I can understand a lot more suspension weight... but 265lbs more?
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Rick,

It's not just the landing gear...
The wing of the superSTOL is significantly heavier than the Highlander wing and the larger tail feathers also add weight. I wouldn't doubt that a similarly equipped SuperSTOL would weigh 75 to 100lb. more than a Highlander and 150 more than an Escapade with its shorter wings and smaller empennage. Add in a 914 (or turbo 912) instead of a 912 and a few other goodies and you can easily see a 200+lb. difference. Add the heavier gear and you're at the 250lb. difference in weight.

My 912uls-powered Highlander, with just a few personal touches is going to come in around 720lb. on 21" tundra tires and standard gear legs.
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I don't have my Catto prop yet. I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever get it to me.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

The fully skinned slats alone are pretty heavy.
I have my 130 waiting to mount :D
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

taildrgfun wrote:I don't have my Catto prop yet. I'm beginning to wonder if they will ever get it to me.
So you're saying order it early...
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

umm......I was hoping Steve already had his Catto - that sounds like it will affect his performance and with the long gear the long prop can be fitted.
The Catto sounds like what will be going on my plane............

Anyone have a weight and balance chart with loading stations? - after it to do approx planning work.

Allan
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

I would like to go ahead an order a Catto prop now as I'm a few months away from completion, I hope, but have decided to wait and see how Steve likes the prop he ordered and maybe tweak my order from his learnings. Since I will have basically the same set up he has it should be valuable info.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Well John,

Looks like you made the right choice again. :) And I made the wrong one. I have a Kiev prop ordered. Which given the current situation over there, and now the Russians moving in, having a Kiev prop on my airplane is looking like less and less of a reality everyday. UG!

Look me up when you get back stateside.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”