Wiring in Wings

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
orenjr
Seasoned Member

Wiring in Wings

Post by orenjr »

Was wandering if anyone would have pictures of where they ran the wires in the wings for nav strobe lights?
Or just tell me where I should run them and what guage wire you used.
Also if I should run a ground wire or just use the spar tube for the ground?
Thanks! Oren
accent air
Seasoned Member

Re: Wiring in Wings

Post by accent air »

I think I used 18ga shielded cable and yes with a ground. I used rubber grommets to protect the wires hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kris Griewahn
Accent Heating & Air
super stol #280
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Oren,
In my Highlander, I ran a thin plastic split conduit from the wingtip back through the rear spar and ran my strobe, nav and landing light wiring in that. Once the wings were installed, I ran the conduit across the head rack and down the windshield post to the panel. It only weighs a couple of ounces and makes for a very neat installation. The thin black tube shown is the pitot tube, which I just inserted back into the spar during construction to protect it, so it looks like two lines in the photo.
Also, once the wings were installed on the plane, I slid the pitot tube and radio antenna coax into the same conduit. Like I said, it makes for a pretty neat installation, but then my interior is black too!
Dan
Pitot and Conduits Wing Root.jpg
Pitot and Conduits Wing Tip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I am running them through the aft spar as well. I drilled a hole with a grommet in it at the end of the spar for the wires to exit. I can add and delete wires at any time this way.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

We're using light (thin wall) and inexpensive 1/2" PVC pipe suggested in an earlier thread: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=21506
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I used PVC tubing (drip irrigation tubing) through the aft spar and 18G wire for the Aveo lights. left a pull string in place for future use. It was very handy when I decided to move the OAT probe out to the wingtip.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview

Return to “Just Aircraft”