Venting Fuel Tank in a Folded SS

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
levyland
Veteran Member

Venting Fuel Tank in a Folded SS

Post by levyland »

Howdy Everyone,
THere has been heaps of discussion about the expansion of fuel and venting especially when the wings are folded. This has been a big problem with the Highlander and defueling was required with any significant amount of fuel left on board.
Being a full time wing folder I have posted several times that I have not experienced any problems with venting (through the gas caps) on my airplane. UNTIL YESTERDAY. One of the problems is that I have not had a good handle on fuel management. I did not have a fuel counter on my fuel drum so I didn't know how much I was adding. (For the record I have a 55 gallon drum on a dolly with a GPI rotary pump that works quite well.) I have subsequently put a fuel counter in line and highly recommend you know how much shit you are putting in the goose. Secondly the sight gauges are a bit go-carty. You wouldn't want to be on fumes and relying on those. So I have also put in a fuel flow sender in my Dynon Skyview that gives me accurate fuel burn and remaining. Again highly recommended. However when I folded the wings the other night I had full tanks and when I came back the next afternoon after a quite warm day the fuel had expanded and vented through the caps all over the wing blistering the paint! So here is the solution I have come up with. Try to fly your mission plus an hour (five gallons) of fuel. There is no reason to be flying around with a bunch of del if you don't need it. After you fold the wings always check the fuel level and if there is over 3/4 in the tank you will need to jack the airplanes tail up to level it out as if the wings were not folded. In previous posts I have shown a block that I place in-between the tail wheel stinger and fuselage that prevents the Fox Shock from compressing. Additionally I had made some wooden jacks that supported the tail wheel off the floor when the airplane was in the storage mode. There is a shit load of weight on that tiny 9" tailwheel. So my solution was to cut the wooden jacks shorter and screw them together as a single jack and use a car jack to life the airplane off the tail wheel.. It works really well and will jack the airplane tail up over two feet if you needed to. I have attached photos and if you have any questions please let me know. Cheers, John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Venting Fuel Tank in a Folded SS

Post by gkremers »

I know this thread is SS specific but on a standard Highlander Troy told me to never fold the wings with more than 5 gallons of fuel in the tanks. He said it was not designed to handle the additional weight with the wings folded. This all may be a moot point on the SS since the wing is a total redesign.

Gary
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Troy or Jak would you like to comment on that?
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

IMG_2738 (1024x768).jpg
I have posted previously about the wing folding and fuel situation. To kind of recap this which is an important issue here are a couple of pics to illustrate my fix. First is on fueling I use a digital flow meter. Second is my Grand Rapids EIS for the fuel flow and fuel remaining which has proven to be extremely accurate in 600+ hours of flying. I have my low fuel warning set to light up at 4.5 gallons which is about 40 minutes flying above the 2 gallons unusable that Just claims for the tanks. This last 2 gallons can be used if you like to fly wing low and skidding. That's really cutting it too fine for me. I agree that checking the tanks visually is impossible for accuracy even in the smoothest of air.

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

levyland wrote:Howdy Everyone,
THere has been heaps of discussion about the expansion of fuel and venting especially when the wings are folded. This has been a big problem with the Highlander and defueling was required with any significant amount of fuel left on board.
Being a full time wing folder I have posted several times that I have not experienced any problems with venting (through the gas caps) on my airplane. UNTIL YESTERDAY. One of the problems is that I have not had a good handle on fuel management. I did not have a fuel counter on my fuel drum so I didn't know how much I was adding. (For the record I have a 55 gallon drum on a dolly with a GPI rotary pump that works quite well.) I have subsequently put a fuel counter in line and highly recommend you know how much shit you are putting in the goose. Secondly the sight gauges are a bit go-carty. You wouldn't want to be on fumes and relying on those. So I have also put in a fuel flow sender in my Dynon Skyview that gives me accurate fuel burn and remaining. Again highly recommended. However when I folded the wings the other night I had full tanks and when I came back the next afternoon after a quite warm day the fuel had expanded and vented through the caps all over the wing blistering the paint! So here is the solution I have come up with. Try to fly your mission plus an hour (five gallons) of fuel. There is no reason to be flying around with a bunch of del if you don't need it. After you fold the wings always check the fuel level and if there is over 3/4 in the tank you will need to jack the airplanes tail up to level it out as if the wings were not folded. In previous posts I have shown a block that I place in-between the tail wheel stinger and fuselage that prevents the Fox Shock from compressing. Additionally I had made some wooden jacks that supported the tail wheel off the floor when the airplane was in the storage mode. There is a shit load of weight on that tiny 9" tailwheel. So my solution was to cut the wooden jacks shorter and screw them together as a single jack and use a car jack to life the airplane off the tail wheel.. It works really well and will jack the airplane tail up over two feet if you needed to. I have attached photos and if you have any questions please let me know. Cheers, John
John,
Blistering paint is not good. What system/paint did you use? I am hoping the new Stewarts system paints will not do this.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

If you are using auto fuel, blistering can be a problem requiring careful planning to avoid. There are a few threads on here and other forums that discuss it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

danerazz wrote:If you are using auto fuel, blistering can be a problem requiring careful planning to avoid. There are a few threads on here and other forums that discuss it.
Dane,
I realize this. Some systems I believe will not blister, such as the Polyfiber system with aerothane as the finish coat. I have chosen to go with the Stewart's because of the health concerns of others and it is relatively easy to apply. I know Steve Dentz had issues with Stewart's blistering on his Highlander but I believe the paint formulation has changed some since then and I was simply curios as to what paint levyland (John) used and hopefully it is something I can learn from.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved

Return to “Just Aircraft”