Dynon vs MGL

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
john2
Veteran Member

Dynon vs MGL

Post by john2 »

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice, especially those who might have experience with both, on glass cockpits from these two companies. I have struggled weather to go this route or not and though not 100% committed am strongly considering the glass.
Does anyone have experience with the MGL iEFIS systems? I know they are pretty new but maybe someone on the list has flown in a buddies plane with one etc. I know some of the list members have the older MGL systems, how do you feel about the equipment and MGL in general? They seem to be a pretty solid company and the iEFIS stuff looks pretty good.
I like Dynon and know they have good stuff and I'm sure will get rave reviews here. So some of the reasons I am considering the MGL line is:
- Dynon offers a 7" and 10" screen. MGL offers 7", 8.5" and 10.4". With my panel I believe I could make the 8.5" screen size work. The comparison I based prices on are the 7" Dynon and 8.5" MGL. I believe the 10" size would be too large.
- I believe I can get a discount on MGL products making the purchase about 700 dollars less.
- disadvantage to the MGL is that it weighs 2 lbs more and doesn't have much real world testing yet.

Any and all advice, thoughts or recommendations are welcome and appreciated.
Take Care,
John Cooley
Kit #265 converted to SuperSTOL
N265JC reserved
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Dynon vs MGL

Post by danerazz »

There is a lot of activity on the MGL user forum. You do have to weed through a lot if posts that are along the "if I designed it, why isn't it my way" lines. For some reason the MGL guys think the whole thing should be open source. I think the fact that the MGL stuff is SO configurable makes people think "if I can do do this, then why can't I take it further and do THAT?"

With that said, this is a slow, VFR airplane. I am planning on using the MGL extreme mini efis and saving several thousand dollars. I do not need, or even really want, all the big glass functions and complexity in the highlander. For about $2000 I can get efis with engine monitoring, and can even add autopilot servos if I want. I can't do that with steam gauges and there is quite a bit of extra functionality in the MGL.

What am I going to do with all the "extra money" I am saving? Pay for the rediculous ADS-B crap I have to have in a few years.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Dane,

Thanks for the reply. I had considered the mini efis also and really like it. I just wish it had about a 6 or 7" screen. I have one of the mock dash displays that a list member sent to me of the mini. It is suppose to be actual size and it is just too small for me to read without wearing reading glasses all the time.
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved
hoskinsb

Post by hoskinsb »

I put an MGL xTreme in my Highlander and have it set up for EFIS/EMS. I too worried about it being a small display, but find it to be very easy to read. I like the fact you can use the xTreme without buying the AHRS sensors and use it with a GPS derived turn and bank, which for our little airplanes is a good deal. I have used MGL products in my RV7 and love them. Their radios are my favorite. I will agree with others that MGL may not be as refined as Dynon or the others, but I can say you get alot for your money when it comes to features their devices offer. Also, customer support is top notch and personal. Matt at MGL California is awesome to work with, he is happy to spend time troubleshooting problems or setup issues with you.

Just my 2 cents!

Brent Hoskins
Higlander
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Why only those 2 manufactures? I'm a little bias towards Grand Rapids Technologies since they are based near me and I know the owners. I'm putting in a Sport SX 8.4" screen (internal GPS) with a Trigg radio and transponder. My panel will be very sparse. They also just came out with the EFIS Mini, starts at $995.

I've had dual EFIS screens in my RV for over 8 years with excellent results. GRT is kind of known for it's IFR capability but the basic systems are perfect VFR platforms.

Gary
Highlander N325AB

BTW... I was hearing horror stories with the FAA lead time on getting the aircraft registration. I mailed mine on Monday March 3rd and had it back on Monday March 10th much to my surprise.
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

For what it is worth I opted for the Dynon 10" Skyview and with only 30 hours I am extremely happy with it's performance and customer service. I went through the same cathartic exercise searching through the forums and talking to owners of both. I did hear from Jak some horror stories of smoking panels, and the dealer here in NZ was not too impressed with certain aspects of them either. I finally went with the product leader. Evidently Dynon owns 85% of the LSA market. I liked there "plug n play" accessories like a lift reserve indicator, remote transponder, and now their intercom and COM. Less panel space required and a multiple of different manufacturers products creating a hodgepodge in your real estate. Finally, yes we are flying a super slow, basic airplane, but all of the data requirements remain for a safe flight. Instead of being up in the flight levels in a Lancair IV, we are landing on river beds in remote tiger country and going "where no man has gone before". . I want to know where I am, where Iam going, and as much information on my engine and fuel as possible. Of course weight is a major concern, and simplicity of installation and adding components (I recently added a fuel flow) is important as well. There are a lot of "steam gauge" advocates still out there, but be it MGL, Dynon, or Grand Rapids this is the technology to embrace. Just my humble thoughts from beautiful NZ Cheers John
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

IMG_2745 (1024x768).jpg
I have the 7" Dynon in my panel. Without some serious redoing I don't think a 10" panel would fit. At the time I got the Dynon the rest of the goodies, such as engine monitoring, VHF's, transponder, ADS-B, autopilot, intercom were not available. And I know that nobody wants to think that 2020 will come but it will and it's best to think how you're going to pay for all the things that may be required or wanted. And where you're going to put them. If I realized how far Dynon would come with all of the integrated equipment I may have changed a few things. With that said I am still very satisfied with Dynon and have had excellent response from them when needed. If you're thinking of a 7" screen that is just too small to have engine monitoring along with the nav screen unless your eyes are a lot better than mine. (Mine are getting kind of old though).

Gil T
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

john2 wrote:Dane,

Thanks for the reply. I had considered the mini efis also and really like it. I just wish it had about a 6 or 7" screen. I have one of the mock dash displays that a list member sent to me of the mini. It is suppose to be actual size and it is just too small for me to read without wearing reading glasses all the time.

My father built a onex and put the mini efis in. He had the same concern (he's 76 and has needed trifocals for over 30 years) but says it is surprisingly easy to read in person.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

I am putting the G3X in. Should have it all from Stein next week, ships tomorrow. It might be the size you want. I hope I like it. I will posts pics once I water jet the panel.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Dynon or Mgl DYNON wins in every category. I only personally know of two of those that have had to go back to the factory for rebuild every single case that I know of the mgls have had to go back numerous times and still don't work right. just sayin Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

gkremers wrote:Why only those 2 manufactures? I'm a little bias towards Grand Rapids Technologies since they are based near me and I know the owners. I'm putting in a Sport SX 8.4" screen (internal GPS) with a Trigg radio and transponder. My panel will be very sparse. They also just came out with the EFIS Mini, starts at $995.

I've had dual EFIS screens in my RV for over 8 years with excellent results. GRT is kind of known for it's IFR capability but the basic systems are perfect VFR platforms.

Gary
Highlander N325AB

BTW... I was hearing horror stories with the FAA lead time on getting the aircraft registration. I mailed mine on Monday March 3rd and had it back on Monday March 10th much to my surprise.
Gary,
I revisited GRT's website after you posted this. I had looked before and have always liked their engine monitoring units. The Mini's and Sport SX are very attractively price. I like the Sport SX but it requires 5" behind the panel for mounting and that will probably be a problem with the SS panel limitations. Too many options :)
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved
john2
Veteran Member

Post by john2 »

Ok, throw in the new big screen Garmin G3X touch screen. Looks pretty impressive. Still in a state of confusion about direction to take.
Take Care,
John Cooley
N265JC reserved
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

I just ordered the new touch G3X. It has the remote transponder and remote intercom/comm so the only thing on the panel will be the screen, pulls super low amps and has music in on the intercom. The screen also has a video BNC input which will display video on the screen. You can use the screen to control the VIRB Garmin camera. My intentions are to pan the camera to the spot of landing in high alpha so I can see on the screen where I'm landing....this will likely have me running into something :mrgreen:
RV6
Forum Regular

Post by RV6 »

You may consider that going to sun & fun that you can save some serious $$$$$ on
show special discount...That what I did,and I did save alot...I went with GRT because
of their support,and believe me it comes in to play more than know....

John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

John,
Nice panel!!
Who did the Carbon Fiber overlay.

Thanks
Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”