FNG

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Jeff

FNG

Post by Jeff »

I've been intrigued with the Superstol from a distance for several months, have made a couple email queries to JA and hoping for reply.
Meanwhile hoping to hear from anyone else with Superstol experience or interest.
Slatted wing looks like a great idea, but I wonder how it functions if it gets wet.
Some airfoils have been known to get critical with moisture on their surface.
Probably no factor but dead friends urge me to confirm.
Thus has anyone flown this wing on the low end of the speed range in rain, drizzle or mist, (standard Canada/Alaska) enough to offer comment?

Anyone flying regularly in/out of 6,500 or above and have any powerplant remarks?
I've got a wife, labrador and want to weekend camp at 5,000'-10,000', but still be able to fold/tow the a/c behind an RV on an extended trip.
Is this enough airplane?
Seems possible from here but comments welcome.

Saw great looking panels on the Aerotrek and assume panel is about the same general size?

Trailer thoughts?

Realistic build time vs realistic factory-build wait time?

Thanks to anyone with time and inclination to remark or refer.
Jeff

Re: FNG

Post by Jeff »

Meanwhile, this morning tried to go to Just Aircraft website but the host server had apparently shut the site down for non-payment.
Anybody out there?
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Regular Highlander, 100HP Rotax 912, DA is often 9000'. In the summer at about 1100lb TO weight, I climb out at ~500fpm. I would be confident to fly it out at 1320lb, but it wouldn't be a short-take-off machine.

Don't know about the other questions, but seems like there used to be a guy on this forum that trailered his Highlander behind an RV. Search the forum and/or youtube.

Don't know why JA website is down. They've had a lot of growth during the last year and my guess is they were too busy filling orders and giving advice to builders to notice the website.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Jeff wrote:Meanwhile, this morning tried to go to Just Aircraft website but the host server had apparently shut the site down for non-payment.
Anybody out there?
It worked fine for me, and it's working fine now.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

The best way to get a hold of them is just to call them. They don't spend a lot of time on their website. Often there are options that either are no longer available, or more often, options that are available you only hear about on the forum or if you call and ask. The health of their website does not indicate the health of the company.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Keye

Post by Keye »

You may have been on the "Justkitplanes" website instead of the "Justaircraft" website. Justkitplanes was (is?) a dealer for Just aircraft, and their website has been down for a while.
Rampil

Post by Rampil »

To specifically answer your question about moisture on wing surfaces, it is a specific subset of laminar flow wings which are susceptible to frost, rain drops, smashed bugs.
The famous GA example was the canard of the VariEZ, which was notorious for causing the plane to tuck under in rain until it was redesigned to a more tolerant shape.

Fabric, ribbed, and riveted wings are nowhere near laminar flow conditions and so are pretty tolerant of minor perturbations.
ftcaruso
Seasoned Member

Post by ftcaruso »

re: Trailering the Highlander behind an RV. Here is the link to my You-tube video : [color=#BF00FF]https://www.youtube.com ... o [/color]

Frank Caruso
Highlander #109

Return to “Just Aircraft”