Desert Flying Videos

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Desert Flying Videos

Post by User GDS »

I finally got some video uploaded, hopefully these links work properly:

This is a spot near the river, during the season I like landing out here and walking the washes looking for quail: http://vimeo.com/90460834

Here's one landing at the GT aerodrome:
http://vimeo.com/90459987

I'm still learning how the technology works, I'll put more up if I get anything interesting.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
User GDS
Veteran Member

Re: Desert Flying Videos

Post by User GDS »

Another one with the cockpit view. http://vimeo.com/90468397

Kinda fuzzy, but you can see the AOA meter in this.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
MAJ MALFUNCTION

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Very cool - thanks for sharing!
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Gary: Like your video of the vapor lock on take off----good information, camera smooth--- camera shakes--- switch on-----camera smooth again. I haven't had mine do this yet, what is the difference ????? Same hot desert ???? I just put the newest Rotax fuel pump on for safety (with the third outlet) like the one you have. Looks like you have your camera "smarts" in order now, time to go "skiing" on the river. Called Gil last week to show him "Tucker International" video you posted. Cheers, Trilander Ted
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I haven't had mine do this yet, what is the difference ????? Same hot desert ????
I didn't allow much time for fuel flow between starting up and adding full power. My hypothesis is that cool fuel from aft of the firewall hadn't flowed forward before I set full power. Also, Gil told me that he had seen a vapor lock issue related to the position of the gascolator. Mine is behind the muffler, it could be a contributing factor.

In any event, "check auxiliary fuel pump" is standard part of of my pre-start checklist and most important; no more light-and-launch.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Another video, first time I've used editing software; http://vimeo.com/91582032
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Great job Gary: Out dodgi'n pucker bushes just like a dirt bike or, a side by side. Next, you need to invent a windshield wiper for the GO PRO so you can show 'em how to water ski on the Colorado River. Gitti'n hot out here, now, early A/M best time. Why don't you buzz your lake and show us your mountain ???? Trees should be budding out soon. Keep 'em commim'. Trilander Ted
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Nothing too exciting, but I went flying in the wind this morning, took awhile to find a spot where winds were strong but air was smooth.

http://vimeo.com/95606206

I was planning to make a video of my newly installed Rage Gear. It's the bungee replacement suspension system that uses a Fox racing shock. So far I like how it dampens the spring effect, it will do 1 weak little bounce and then the plane sticks to the ground. When the wind finally sits down and I can land in all different directions, I'll give it a better test.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I installed the rage gear system on my highlander about 100 hrs ago and it is the best thing you can do to improve the landing characteristics of this airplane. you can drop it in almost as hard as they do the superstol and no bounce. I like your videos, I am tech challenged and have not yet tried to download any of my exploits. keep sending yours, I enjoy them. R L Messenger
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

We've been looking hard at the Rage system. How much weight does it add?
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

I don't remember exactly, around 6-8 pds total, absolutely worth every bit when it comes to the performance of the system. Before I installed the system, I was ready to get rid of my plane, the bouncing landings were discouraging. I live on a grass strip with trees on each side, so when we have any kind of crosswind it is accompanied with turbulence that makes greasing every landing impossible, with the rage system, I dont have to worry about it. R L Messenger
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I just installed them so haven't weighed the parts I removed yet, but:

According to the manufacturer, both struts weigh 16lb. The stock bungee struts weigh 5-10lb? Weight penalty for the Rage gear is around 10lb.

With the Rage Gear, 29" Airstreaks and double spring TW, my flying buddy says my airplane is now almost Steube-Proof
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232

Return to “Just Aircraft”