SS wing drain holes

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

SS wing drain holes

Post by Familyflyer »

Curious if drain holes are getting put in the SS wing? I was planning on drilling through the aluminum and fabric at the low point of each bay. Trouble is the bottom skin bends up so I don't think water can get there from the bay. I think the water will run down to the root and out any way as it is not a tight seal to the ribs. Thoughts?
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Re: SS wing drain holes

Post by R Rinker »

Troy, I've been up in the Arctic for the last month and completely out of touch with the world. I believe drain holes in the wings are only required in fuel tank bays, and you 'have' to have them there. If you have any fuel fittings or pumps etc. in any other bay, obviously you want them there as well. Concerning water getting in, this does require some thought...I've seen water find its way through long stretches of stringers etc. to where it took forever to find it's source of entry. I know your question is concerning a low spot for the drain holes and I can't help with that, but just wanted to comment on a neglected subject.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: SS wing drain holes

Post by Familyflyer »

Talked to the factory and some want them and some don't. They add them just before the edge of the aft skin next to the rib. Simply burnt through the fabric. I am doing the same and added them in each bay of the flap and ailerons. I would think water will get in at the hinge and rod end locations. The one time I have to keep the plane outside in heavy rain while traveling, I will be glad I added the holes.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/

Return to “Just Aircraft”