Reflections on the first flight of a Highlander

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Reflections on the first flight of a Highlander

Post by gkremers »

Barry,
Did you install the thermostat? I have about 9 hours in mine and it takes maybe 4 -5 minutes at most to get the oil to 120 (82 degrees on the ground). In cruise at 3,000 ft, 5200 RPM (78 degrees) the oil is 195 - 205 degrees.

Gary
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Gary,

I did not install it yet. Instead, I just run the rpm up to 3000 or so and it only takes a few minutes to get 120 degrees F. Before I was just letting the engine idle and I would only see about 100 degrees max. As the winter approaches and we see the temperatures plunge here in San Diego I may reconsider installing it. :) My cruise oil temperature is usually around 150 which I'm wondering might be a bit too low. CHT's (and coolant temp presumably) are 200 plus or minus 5 degrees. I know that oil temp should be sufficiently hot to boil any water away. I wonder if 150 degrees is sufficiently hot to do this. Your cruise oil temp looks better. But I also cruise at 4500 rpm because I'm never in any hurry to get anywhere!

On a side note, I just installed my 29 inch Airstreaks. I was concerned that performance would suffer as a result. What I found was that there was no significant decrease in climb performance and maybe only 3 mph decrease in cruise. Landings are easier and more fun. And most importantly of course, the airplane looks really cool now.

Barry
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Barry,
I idle at 2200 or so. The thermostat install is pretty straight forward if you decide to go down that path. I've got the Air Trac 6 x 8.50 tires, my home airport is hard surface. The Airstreaks look really cool but I'd chew them up landing on blacktop.

As you said the oil temp should be hot enough to boil off the condensation, 150 sounds low especially in the summer.
The next time you land open up the oil tank and look on the underside of the oil cap. If you have any water droplets or condensation you can see it pretty quickly.

Have fun
Gary
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Hey Berry... congratulations! It really inspired me to keep at it (sometimes it really gets tedious). I noticed that your sticks are curved back ( i assume for a more comfortable position). Did you make these or get them somewhere)...Thanks!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Gary,

Thanks for the input. I'll check that after the next flight. If my oil temp is too low that may be the reason I should install it now rather than waiting for the winter to arrive.

Jjacky,

The sticks were made by a friend of mine - also a Highlander builder. He used a longer length of the same stick material and simply bent it with a tool used to bend electrical conduit. Don't know if it's any more comfortable than a straight stick but I like the way it looks. Good point about the Airstreaks on hard surfaced runways. I'm now only doing multiple touch and go's on them out in the desert or on grass.

Just went over the 40 hour mark without a single significant problem with the engine or airframe. I'd have to say this is the most trouble free airplane I've ever owned. A real tribute to Troy's design philosophy of keeping everything as simple as possible.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Hey Barry, I haven't forgot about the interior trim part I'm going to make for you, just been busy with summer travels.

this thread is going all over the place, but regarding the Airstreaks, I've been coating mine with Herculiner and it really helps reduce wear on asphalt. Herculiner is a DIY truck bed liner material that costs around $40/qt at an auto parts store. I paint an 8-10" stripe around the tire and let it dry for a couple of days. It doesn't peel off and lasts about 100 hours. It's a little tougher than the Airstreak rubber so you don't pick up goatheads in the desert.

I'm making a curved control stick for mine. I've got long arms and the straight stick works fine for flying around, but I made a long trip last month and did some 7 hour days. With my arm partly extended all day the straight stick became uncomfortable.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Yeah Barry Gary is right the Herculiner works really great if you are operating out of a paved runway. Poor man's retread. Sounds like everything is going well with your airplane. I come to Carlsbad everywhere three months so perhaps we can hook up. I was going to catch up with Gary on my last trip but we were two ships passing through the night. Cheers John
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Gary and John, Thanks for the info. Finally applied two coats of Herculiner to the tires yesterday. It rolled on easily and looks great. In a couple days I'll put the wheels back on the plane and fly it. I'll report back on the results. Barry
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Several flights on the airplane now after installing the Herculiner. The right tire is holding nicely everywhere. However, it's flaking off of the left tire in a few spots where the tire flexes on the sides. No sign of it coming off the tire anywhere where it makes contact with the runway, so that's encouraging. More flights necessary!
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Barry, just a quick note on the oil. The oil temps should be at the 180 degree mark in the winter at least. In summer you should be seeing readings right at 200-220. You need to install the thermostat.
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Thanks, Dennis. I was reluctant to do anything more with the airplane since it's been so trouble free. I just went over 40 hours. But I know that this is something that still needs to be done and the sooner the better. Barry
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

John or Dennis,

I'm getting ready to order the Thermostasis from Spruce. Can you give me an idea of what type, diameter and length of hose I'm going to need? Any other misc parts needed that are not included? Can the existing oil hoses that came with the engine be cut and used? I think Summit Racing was mentioned as a good source? Just wanted to check with someone who has already successfully done this. Thanks in advance, Barry
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Oops, above questions also to Gary.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

When I got mine it came as a kit. Everything included. All I needed to do was cut the correct location in the hoses and install. You need the connectors and clamps. And this is the thermostat that I got.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/e ... mostat.php
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
gkremers
Veteran Member

Thermostasis

Post by gkremers »

Barry,
The kit came from Aircraft Specialty. I discussed the RV12 kit he had already been selling and asked if he could modify if for the Highlander. Steve sent me the fittings, I picked up some cheap hose to get the lengths needed for my installation. The cheap hoses and fitting were sent back, he fabricated a beautiful kit and everything fits perfectly. The hoses will last the life of the engine.

IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_1286.jpg

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com

If you have any questions give me a call.

616-638-6825

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Just Aircraft”