Horizontal stabalizer 90 degrees to vertical stabalizer

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Horizontal stabalizer 90 degrees to vertical stabalizer

Post by Tralika »

I've installed my horizontal stabilizer and am now in the process of fitting the flying wires. (Chapter 1.10 Step 7) The manual says to measure from a point on the top of the fin to identical marks on the horizontal stab spar tubes, both of those marks being equal distance from the center of the stab. So I made marks stab spar tube at equal distance from the center and I measured. My problem is I don't understand how this makes the horizontal stab 90 degrees to the vertical stab. It looks to me like the angle of both sides of the horizontal stab will be equal but how do I know the angle is 90 degrees? I admit I'm not burdened with a great deal of knowledge of trigonometry but this just doesn't seem to pass the "that don't look right" test.

Wouldn't it make more sense to set the airframe up level and plumb (it is) check the vertical stabilizer with a level to make sure it is plumb (it is) and then put a level on the horizontal stab spar tubes and adjust each side until level?

If you've been through this and have some insight I'd appreciate hearing it.

John N.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Re: Horizontal stabalizer 90 degrees to vertical stabalizer

Post by Familyflyer »

I leveled the fuse with a smart level, made sure the vertical stab was 90 and then set the horizontal stab. All done with the smart level. You want to make sure you do not introduce any twist as well. Once done I then measured for a cross check. Your idea should be fine.
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
Strasnuts
Forum Regular

Post by Strasnuts »

Same as Troy but used laser level. Leveled fuse and then set cross hairs on horizontal and vertical stabs. I bent mine into position so flying wires weren't pulling harder from one side.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I concur, level the airframe then use a level to set level and plumb.

Over time, my cables have gotten some slack and I have had to remove washers from under the tabs. (I think the tabs twist and straighten out, and the cable loops flatten out a little, I don't detect any slippage at the swage) If I were doing it again, I would add an extra thin washer to each side of system so I had more room to take up slack. I would also eliminate the shrink wrap over the swage, it's not pretty but makes pre-flight inspection more complete.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Thanks for the replies.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191