Insurance company requirements during test flight process

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Insurance company requirements during test flight process

Post by Chief »

Guys,

I'm getting close to first flight for my Highlander, likely within 30 to 45 days. During the test flight process, I'm wondering how much variation, if any, their is among insurance companies relevant to rules for flights. For example, do all have the same requirements for taildragger time for test pilots?What other variations could there be? Any recommendations on how to proceed?

Chief
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Insurance company requirements during test flight proces

Post by gkremers »

My timing for first flight is pretty close to yours. I have virtually no tail wheel time (5 hours with a friend 20 years ago) and will be getting my tailwheel endorsement this month. My insurance requires 10 hours in type before first flight. I spoke with Billy and will be going down to his place in early June to get the required 10+ hours.

I'm sure my first 25 hours or so will be in calm winds, early morning or evening.

Gary
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Thanks Gary. I have about 10 hours taildragger time as PIC, and i'll have the enforcement in a Super Cub soon. I'll need to look up the definition of "in type". Don't want to get into you personal business, but can you tell me which insurance company you used, and were they easy to work with?

Chief
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Gary,

I forgot to ask, who and where is Bob.

Chief
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Chief,
No problem....

I have used Nation Air for many years on my RV7A. They provided the best quote and would cover my first flight as long as I had 10 hours in type.

Nation Air
Jennifer Cummins
877-475-5860

Billy Payne is in Brasstown, NC.
Plane Fun Aircraft

Take care
Gary
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I'm in the process of trying to get some insurance for my SuperSTOL.
I called Regal Aviation Insurance who use to insure my Kitfox. The Broaker I use towork with is no longer there, and the new broker sold me they do not cover SuperSTOL's.
I have a call & e-Mail into Falcon Insurance and I am still waiting for a reply.
Any Recommendations would be appreciated.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Great thread. Whom do you guys use while building? I found out my Homeowners Insurance specifically excludes "Aircraft" and "Aircraft Parts". I have USAA for the House. I need to cover my kit while building.
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark, Go look at Falcon, they list several companies like EAA, USAA, AOPA etc. It looks like they have some form of insurance agreement with USAA. I have USAA homeowners insurance.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’ve been trying to get in touch with Frank McCutcheon the Just Aircraft flight instructor to discuss flying off my 40 hours. I have been unable to touch base with him.

I have about 187 total in a tail Dragger, and about 150 in a Kitfox Tail Dragger, so the tail wheel Endorsement is good. I only have about 2.2 hours in a SuperSTOL. So I need to get another 8 to 10 Hours to get current in a SuperSTOL, so I can get insurance. I was cogitating getting with Corey Gerulis to get my 10 hours in type. He has a SuperSTOL XL built by Chris and he offered. He does contract Flying, I might need to see if he could fly off a 20 or so hours.

I plan of contacting Nation Air Monday, if I don’t have any luck with Falcon.
AV8R Paul
Copro

Post by Copro »

I went with Falcon. Got my tail wheel in my highlander. They had no type requirements for instructor, just required me to have dual time.

Jody
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

I’m going to Tennessee at the end of May and fly 10 hours with Corey. That will alleviate their complaint about 2.2 hours. I plan on calling Falcon, Jennifer Cummins at Nations Air, and EAA on Monday about insurance.
AV8R Paul
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Clark, I just got off of the Phone with Falcon, they shopped the insurance using EAA & USAA
The EAA Insurance Quote came back @ 2 times as expensive as the quote associated with USAA.
I called Regal Aviation and their quote was $250 per year higher.
I'm what insurance companies consider a Low Time Pilot I have 478 hours Total Time, 178 hours in a Tail Wheel, and so far 2.2 hours in a SuperSTOL.
I asked him what it takes to get the Premium down, he said if I get 50 Hours in the SuperSTOL before renewal next year it should significantly reduce my Premium.
So flying off the 40 Hours and flying it home will definitely help with that.
Clark in AZ wrote:Great thread. Whom do you guys use while building? I found out my Homeowners Insurance specifically excludes "Aircraft" and "Aircraft Parts". I have USAA for the House. I need to cover my kit while building.
AV8R Paul
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

I am resurrecting this old thread:

It looks like that 4 to 6 of us are in the final building process. Sooooo, time to switch to insurance issues. I called my agent to see if we could convert my "Builder Insurance to flight insurance. I'll also call USAA as they have the rest of my polices and riders for the farm. I already have 10 hours in type and over 500 hour in tailwheel as an instructor in a Pitts. So I'm covered there. Anyone willing to discuss full hull costs? First year, 40 Hrs, Second year?

Thanks!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Hey Bruce,

Unless things have changed, USAA won't cover anything aircraft related. I called them when I got my kit and was told they do not insure aircraft.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Thanks Clark! I figured as much, most of there posts are old. USAA won't insure any of my antique cars and farm equipment.. they have affiliates.... but it is really a separate agreement!

Cheers!
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com

Return to “Just Aircraft”