Finger screen fitting/rib clearance

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Finger screen fitting/rib clearance

Postby Tralika » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm installing my fuel tanks and have modified the #1 ribs for the fuel outlet fitting. However there will not be enough room to remove the finger screen fitting from the tank after installation. If I remove any more wood from the rib web I'm afraid I'll compromise the it's strength. I don't know that I'll ever need to remove those finger strainers but I like to be able to just in case. Anyone else take out enough wood from the rib to remove the strainer fittings?
Attachments
DSC02702.JPG
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: Finger screen fitting/rib clearance

Postby Gil T » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:36 pm

John

I don't know if this will help any but you can see what I had to do when I took my small tanks out and installed the 26 gallon ones. The original fuel strainer was quite a bit smaller than the one that came with the larger tanks and the fitting was in a different place because of its size. You can see that a notch had to be cut in the outside rib to accommodate it. I have never taken any wing tank strainers out for any reason. I suppose if you thought you had some badly contaminated fuel you would do it. However the screens are course enough I would think that unless you had a family of mice living in there gas could get through. You still have your downstream filters to take care of things. And yes I could take the strainers out if needed. The main thing I had to do was cut the back of the butt rib so my fuel lines could go through. As you can see I epoxyed a dowel to the butt rib to add some rigidity. You may not have that problem with a original installation. I think if I painted it white it might look an actual well engineered install but heck this is part of the experimental thing.

Good luck.

Gil T
Attachments
014 (1024x768).jpg
Fuel Hose 001 (1024x768) (2).jpg
Gil T
Veteran Member

Postby rmullins » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:56 pm

With the tanks mounted there and the wing fittings just inside of that rib, it really just gives shape more than strength at that location.
Rick Mullins  #144
Cincinnati, Oh
rmullins
Veteran Member

Postby jak » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:18 pm

I make the cutout in the #1 rib big enough to put the strainer in with a socket. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
jak
Veteran Member

Postby Tralika » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:22 am

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll leave the rib web the way it is now. If I ever need to remove the finger screen I'll enlarge the access so I can get a socket on it. It would be easy to do with the dremel tool.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Tralika
Veteran Member

Return to Just Aircraft