Plane Fun Training

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Plane Fun Training

Post by Jack L »

With minimal tail dragger experience, I did not want to risk damaging the aircraft that I worked so hard to build, so I decided to make the 1100 mile trip to the Payne family airfield in Brasstown, NC for some flight training. Those who have been to the Brasstown airfield know that you would have to look long and hard to find a better place to train in an aircraft. Flying has been in the Payne family for a long time, big brother Vic was the mastermind behind Brasstown and taught Billy and Kenny to fly when they were just 11 years old. Today Vic is a CFI and trains pilots to fly on the Just Aircraft fleet. If you spend time with the Payne brothers you will hear amazing stories of a strong family bond, passion for flying and great adventures.

When I first showed up at the field I was pretty tired from a 20 hour drive and wanted a day to recover, Billy had a different plan, he immediately introduced me to Vic and promptly told me to strap in and to get flying. Soon after Vic and I were rolling down the runway and immediately he began to assess my competencies. On one my first landings I let the aircraft veer right towards a fence and when I quickly called out “you have control” Vic calmly replied “No its your plane”, I quickly regained control because I had to, I thanked him for not taking control later. Through his vast experience and laid back demeanour Vic instills confidence in his students, during the next ten hours he continually monitored my progress and kept challenging me to push the aircraft to its limits. He had me fly unusual attitudes that I would have never have attempted on my own, he taught me to fly the aircraft to its limits and sometimes beyond. I cannot say enough about my experience flying with Vic.

Part way through my training Billy told me that I would be flying with him when my training with Vic was complete. I didn’t understand why he wanted to fly with me at the time, but on the last day of training Billy and I strapped into an Extreme Highlander that I had never flown. As we were taxiing for takeoff I asked Billy a performance related question about the aircraft we were in, he looked at me and said “I don’t know, this is your test flight and you will have to figure it out”. We flew together for an hour, during that hour Billy failed every system he could from the cockpit to see how I would react. To my surprise and maybe to Billy’s as well, I did not get excited and I continued to fly the aircraft in a safe manner. Billy did this to ensure that Vic’s work with me was successful and that I was ready to test fly my own aircraft.

Last Friday I flew my aircraft for the first time. I was a little nervous but very much in control as I throttled forward. My original plan was to fly for an hour but Billy cautioned me not to fly for more than 15 minutes, he told me that lines and hardware would loosen and that I should land and check the aircraft over. Billy was right, nothing too serious but some tweaking was required. I now have 4 hours on my aircraft and on every flight I am testing the aircraft and taking it closer to its limits. It is a different aircraft to fly when solo, but the skills and experience passed on by Vic and Billy have prepared me to continue to learn and have fun in this great aircraft.

If you feel that a refresher is in order or you need a Tail Wheel endorsement make the trip, you will not be disappointed.

Jak and Scottie, it was good to see you guys again and thanks for all of the technical support you provided throughout this amazing experience.
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Re: Plane Fun Training

Post by ScottieB »

Jack,
Congratulations on your success. You built a beautiful plane and you're right - it would be such a shame to see it ruined. The transition training is well worth the time and effort spent. Those Payne brothers really know the Just Aircraft products well and they are good teachers. I know exactly what you meant about Vic's calm demeanor instilling confidence in the student. His training teaches limits that would take years of experience to find on your own. Billy once told me that he wants to build an airplane with outriggers instead of wings so that he can let a student see what a ground loop feels like without ruining a good airplane. I hope he gets time to do that some day. It'll be a valuable teaching tool.
I hope also that you can bring your plane to Brasstown when they have the Plane Fun days in September. It's a blast.
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Jack,

Any chance you could contact me off list. Have a few questions for you.

plumber Ben "At" yahoo "Dot". Com
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Ben call me 706-599-1025 most anytime. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
preacoupe
Veteran Member

Post by preacoupe »

Last September, I had the pleasure of flying with Vic and Billy. My plane was ready to go and, too, I didn't want to hurt what I had spent so much time/energy on. Also, the ins. company thought it would be a good idea for me to have SOME time in a Just plane before setting off in my own.

I wound up doing about 7 hours over a few days, and I was so glad I did. I agree, that both Payne brothers know their stuff, and that their flying skills are as good as their teaching skills. I flew their tricycle geared Highlander as my plane is a tricycle Escapade. Vic was more than glad to make sure you KNOW that whatever you do in that plane, you'll probably be safe. Stalls, steep turns, slips, emergency training....all of it. Very thorough.

The next week, Billy came out to Arizona to do a first flight of my plane. Again, a smart move on my part. Just wanted to know that I didn't have some stupid mistake glaring at me and I wouldn't know it. So, now I have about 44 hours on her and plan to fly to Oshkosh.

Hoping to see one and all there. Especially, Billy and Vic. Thanks again, guys.

Dennis
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Can I get the contact details or email for the Paynes please?

Allan (from Aussie)
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Hi Allan,

Go to the dealer page on the Just Aircraft website and you will find what you are looking for.

Jack

Return to “Just Aircraft”