flap return springs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
warlev
Seasoned Member

flap return springs

Post by warlev »

I need to give a shout out about a ingenious new invention by one of our forum members. Dane sent me a pair of his flap return springs to try and I am certain that everyone will want a set. They work well, and it's one of those solutions that causes you to slap your head and wonder why it wasn't thought of sooner. It took me about 20 minutes to install, and I am astounded how simple and easy it was to install. Any new builders out there will want a set; it eliminates all the problems with the flap mechanism installed in the wing. Check it out. Warren
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Re: flap return springs

Post by Trilander Ted »

I would like to try to install a pair on my flaps in addition to the stock system that works fine on my plane. I'm guessing that they will not over power the the flap handle as well as keep the flaps from "blowing down" during mild wind events on the ground. I to, think this is classic K.I.S.S. thinking and understand the excitement. Hope someone tries the double spring flap system soon.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I am putting together 15 initial kits. They will include everything needed to install them including:

2 new bolts and locknuts, 4 3/16"ID 5/16"OD 1/2" long bushings, 8 AN970 washers, and of course 2 springs

I am still finalizing the price, and it may change after the first batch, but I have calculated the materials, plus my cost for shipping (both the materials to me and the kits to you), plus about 30 minutes per pair of springs (not including oven time for heat treating) at $22 per set. That is without marking up the materials. I admit, this is a larger number than I thought it would be, but that is just what it all added up to.

So, the first 15 sets I am selling for $22 a set, which will cover both flaps. After those sets are sold I may adjust the price or leave it the same depending on what all of the costs work out to be.

I would like to get feedback from those that buy these sets before I sell a whole bunch of people springs and then find I need to redesign because they sag or something, so I will probably pause production for a bit after this first batch.

I am working on rudder return springs, and rudder and flap gust locks as well.

For the rudder springs, my rudder torque tube has about 1/2" between the vertical tubes that the outboard pedals are attached to and the end bracket that is bolted to the fuselage floor. Does everybody have this space, or are some of them tighter? I want to make a spring that fits in this space, but if this is not the same on every kit I will have to come up with something else.
Last edited by danerazz on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Trilander Ted wrote:I would like to try to install a pair on my flaps in addition to the stock system that works fine on my plane. I'm guessing that they will not over power the the flap handle as well as keep the flaps from "blowing down" during mild wind events on the ground. I to, think this is classic K.I.S.S. thinking and understand the excitement. Hope someone tries the double spring flap system soon.

Ted,

I don't think there will be any issues with overpowering the flap handle, but I have added a coil to the springs which gives them a little more travel before they deform (permanently). This seems to have solved the sagging flap issue if they are over-extended (at least so far). The springs I sent warlev have one fewer coil, but I still don't think they will be a problem.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

I would very much like to be in the first 15 just let me know how to send you the money Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Jak, I had you in mind as you had said you were interested.

Check your pm for details.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

Please count me in, I too need to know where to send the money. I don't know about E-Mail and and personal information. OK, when your ready. TED
JHR
Forum Regular

Post by JHR »

Please add me to the list and let me know how to pay.

I would get it shipped to Just Aircraft so it could be put in the next container to New Zealand.

John Ross
Highlander #312
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Also...

Barry
San Diego, CA
Highlander
N912JA

Thanks
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Barry, please check your PMs for info.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

If you have sent a check for flap springs, I have mailed 6 sets out today for everyone I have received payment from. I am still working on the rudder spring design (been out of town).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
barry767
Seasoned Member

Post by barry767 »

Thanks, Dane. Mine arrived a few days ago. They look beautiful! Barry
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks, and to anyone who has received them I would like some feedback.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

How about a wound spring to hold
the windows up? I have round tube
doors with the clevis pin hinges.

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I don't have the round top tube on the doors, or the clevis pin, so unless there was somebody nearby to look at design would be difficult, as would installation (the would have to rotate on the clevis pin axis, not sure how that would work out, and small diameter means low force...) but that would be nice. Still waiting for time to look at rudder springs...I'll get to it soon!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”