flap return springs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: flap return springs

Post by danerazz »

Thanks for the feedback, fortunately the newer springs have had all positive results. I think most who got the originals have received the heavier ones. I know there are a few people still waiting for the recent run, and I apologize for the delay. I am solo with two young kids until my wife gets back in a couple months, and I have less time than anticipated...

They are coming, I promise! I have all the materials, just missing the time!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

dane, I installed my springs when we got back from the bahamas, really easy, fit good and hold the flaps up steady. thanks for thinking of a solution. RLM
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dane, I'm just starting my Highlander build, and have only worked on the wings, and haven't gotten to your springs. I have a couple of questions. I am pretty sure I have the original springs, which I think were intended to compliment the existing spring on the flap handle. I also intend on buying the Gen 2 flap handle. Do you have a suggestion on how I should proceed? New springs, original springs??

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

You think you have my original, lighter-duty springs? If you have a dial caliper or micrometer, check the wire size, if it is about .078" then they are the light ones and I will replace them free of charge, if it is .093" or so you should be good to go. Your set is from February of last year, and I don't think I upgraded to the heavier ones until April or May, so I will get a set together and get them out in the next couple of weeks. You will use the same hardware, so don't lose it! There is no difference in fit or installation, just a higher-force spring, so you can install what you have if you need to do it now, but there is really no reason to until you are rigging the flap cables.

Either way, you can build with or without the stock springs, and mine are easily replaced or added later. I personally would just plan on NOT installing the stock springs for simplicity.

I am not 100% familiar with the G2 flap handle, but I do not think it changes how the flaps retract, so either way should be fine, as long as you have not changed to the SuperStol wings (totally different flap system).

Please PM me your current mailing address and I will get them out in the next couple weeks.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dane, I just installed your Springs. Outstanding! 5 Minutes and done. Perfect operation.

Cheers
Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks for the update, let me know how they work for you. I have not really received much feedback and have sent out probably 40 sets over the last 5 years or however long I’ve been sending them out.

I guess no news is good news, if there is an issue with something people are usually quick to let you know!

Those hooks might fit better “reversed” (which one is over the other). As long as they are “engaged” on the belcrank it is fine, though. Don’t forget to tighten the nuts!

I have been including drilled bolts, castle nuts and cotter pins on newer kits.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I installed your springs years ago and can't say enough about how perfect they work. Easy install and vastly better than stock. I never want to bad mouth Just, but outstanding upgrade.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Thanks!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Billy Payne at Plane Fun Aircraft in Brasstown is now selling my springs. I have 3 sets left myself, but just sent him a bunch. This should help keep me from having to make batches to sell one or two sets, and people won’t have to wait months for me to actually put sets together.

Be sure to contact him if you want to buy a set!

If it works out for him, I’m just going to start sending batches to him as needed and stop direct-from-manufacturer sales.

Hope everybody is still having good luck with them!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

danerazz wrote:Billy Payne at Plane Fun Aircraft in Brasstown is now selling my springs. I have 3 sets left myself, but just sent him a bunch. This should help keep me from having to make batches to sell one or two sets, and people won’t have to wait months for me to actually put sets together.

Be sure to contact him if you want to buy a set!

If it works out for him, I’m just going to start sending batches to him as needed and stop direct-from-manufacturer sales.

Hope everybody is still having good luck with them!
Are these for the Highlander?
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Dane,
That sounds like the classic Win-Win for everyone. I have about 170 hours flying with your springs on my plane and they work great.
Thanks
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

Hey Dane, I bought a set from you years ago and they work great. The only negative is that they are rusting quite a bit. If they are now made of stainless I'd like to get another pair. Are they?
KevinC
Veteran Member

Post by KevinC »

I have a few years on mine too and in windy Eastern Washington I love them!!

Kevin
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

No, they are not stainless, but I do recommend a little LPS 2 or similar once in a while. You should be able to clean them up by taking them off and cleaning with WD-40, PB Blaster, or Kroil. Then hit with LPS 2 or ACF-50 once in a while. This last batch I did start soaking in an ultrasonic cleaner with a lubricant, not sure how long that will protect.

I thought about painting or powder coating, but have not tried it yet. Not sure how durable those coatings are on springs.

I’ll have to explore the SS option, but there is more to making a spring that will return to the right shape than just bending a piece of wire, and that heat treat may be beyond my abilities.

Try removing and cleaning them up, then give them a coating of some kind of oil once in a while.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Clark in AZ wrote: Are these for the Highlander?
Clark
Sorry, missed your question.

These are for the regular non-SS highlander
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”