flap return springs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: flap return springs

Post by SheepdogRD »

danerazz wrote:For those wanting flap springs, do you want nylon locknuts, or castle nuts for cotter pin safety?

It will need to be a general concensus, I will order a bunch, but don't want to order a bunch of different ones. All previous kits were nylon locknuts.
I can't tell from the picture exactly how the installation is set up. If we're torquing the nut, I'd think nylocs are fine. Nylocs need consistent force to stay in place. If the nut is just locating the spring on the bolt and isn't run down hard against anything, I'd prefer castle nuts and drilled bolts.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

It is like the stock bolts: the nut is run down tight to "pinch" the whole stack and hinge bushing so the whole "pack" is stationary. Only the belcrank and spring move, and the bushings keep the springs from binding on anything by providing space between the washers and a surface to rotate on. The ID of the springs is about 7/16 or so, the OD of the bushing is 5/16.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Sounds like good design work, Dane. Nylocs will work for me.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
warlev
Seasoned Member

Post by warlev »

Dane: Castle nuts worked fine for me. Thanks again. Warren
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Warren, did you use the hardware I sent? I've only had nylocks in the kits.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Dane, I sent you a "Wings" post to order a set of your springs. Let me know your address and I'll forward you the amount.

Bruce,
bjohnsonf16@centurylink.net
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Bruce, I got your message, I'll send the info as soon as I get the springs made (probably Monday).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
warlev
Seasoned Member

Post by warlev »

Dane: I used my castle nuts instead.
Jim 541
Forum Regular

Post by Jim 541 »

Dane: I don't think I ever got your mailing address. Get it to me and I'll send a check off to ya.

Jim
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

As soon as I get the flap springs made (likely today) I will post their availability. When that is up, anyone wanting a set from his batch please PM me and I will send address/payment information. I just want to be sure who wants them and avoid publicly providing my address.

Thanks
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Okay, just to keep things organized, except for the one who has already sent money, if you want a set of flap springs from this batch, I have made 10 sets and should have the rest of the hardware in the next day or two (nylock nuts and un-drilled bolts). They are $22 by check, $25 by PayPal. I will ship when I have received payment.

PM me for payment details and to verify your order. If you have indicated you want a set in the past, but not sent payment, please re-pm me so there is no confusion.

Thanks
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Working on rudder return springs (finally). Learning some interesting things. I have made a set of prototypes out of 3/32 music wire. They fit MY rudder pedals great, there is enough room between the end caps that hold the rudder pedal torque tube and the outboard rudder pedals to slip the springs on the tube and hook it on the pedals and the parallel bar that runs under it. What I am finding is with this size wire the drag in the rudder pedals is critical. They need to be VERY smooth before the springs will work. Most of the drag in my system is in the brackets that the top of the brake cylinders attaches to and where they attach to the pedals. The issue is the brake brackets are say 6 inches from the pivot, and if they cause 1lb of drag, that is 6 in-lbs. of drag PER BRACKET. The springs provide a maximum of 15 in-lbs. of force for this size wire, and that is at the most aft pedal position. Two brake brackets per side means an easy 12 in-lbs. of drag, so until I smooth things out the springs only ALMOST move the pedals forward.

My options are massage the system to take the drag out and/or use bigger wire. The next size wire is 1/8" and DOUBLES the force of the spring. I will try a set of these, but the springs become exponentially harder to form and I am concerned that too much pressure will cause a "centered" feel to the pedals, as if they have a detent which I believe would not be desirable, though not dangerous.

I'll keep you updated...

Also, if I have received payment, your flap springs will ship tomorrow. I have received payment or notification payment is coming for 4 sets, so I have 6 more ready to go.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I'd like a set of the flap springs, let me know your address for payment. I sent you a PM with my shipping detail.

My stock springs are starting to yield, the left flap droops about 1/4" at the trailing edge.

Thanks, Gary
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

Hello Dane,
My brother built a Highlander and installed a set of your flap return springs exclusively. We are finding that they are not quite strong enough to hold the flaps up (one side does - the other side doesn't), so we'll need just a little more strength for holding them up plus another dose of strength to fight the tendency of the wind blowing them down while at rest. I feel like they would be the right strength if he had the original springs in place to help, but he won't be using the originals so stronger ones will be needed. I'll PM you as soon as I get time because I also had a customer call me at the factory today asking where he could order a set of your springs. Nice invention! Scott.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Sorry to hear that, first complaint I have received. I am out of town until late tomorrow, but PM me the address and I will make a new set with a little more pre-load and send them out ASAP. If that doesn't do it I will look into the next size wire, but that will DRAMATICALLY increase the spring force.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis

Return to “Just Aircraft”