flap return springs

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.

Moderator: scubarider2

Re: flap return springs

Postby danerazz » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks for the feedback, fortunately the newer springs have had all positive results. I think most who got the originals have received the heavier ones. I know there are a few people still waiting for the recent run, and I apologize for the delay. I am solo with two young kids until my wife gets back in a couple months, and I have less time than anticipated...

They are coming, I promise! I have all the materials, just missing the time!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Postby messenger » Sun May 01, 2016 4:44 pm

dane, I installed my springs when we got back from the bahamas, really easy, fit good and hold the flaps up steady. thanks for thinking of a solution. RLM
messenger
Forum Regular

Postby BucF16 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 am

Dane, I'm just starting my Highlander build, and have only worked on the wings, and haven't gotten to your springs. I have a couple of questions. I am pretty sure I have the original springs, which I think were intended to compliment the existing spring on the flap handle. I also intend on buying the Gen 2 flap handle. Do you have a suggestion on how I should proceed? New springs, original springs??

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
BucF16
Veteran Member

Postby danerazz » Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 am

You think you have my original, lighter-duty springs? If you have a dial caliper or micrometer, check the wire size, if it is about .078" then they are the light ones and I will replace them free of charge, if it is .093" or so you should be good to go. Your set is from February of last year, and I don't think I upgraded to the heavier ones until April or May, so I will get a set together and get them out in the next couple of weeks. You will use the same hardware, so don't lose it! There is no difference in fit or installation, just a higher-force spring, so you can install what you have if you need to do it now, but there is really no reason to until you are rigging the flap cables.

Either way, you can build with or without the stock springs, and mine are easily replaced or added later. I personally would just plan on NOT installing the stock springs for simplicity.

I am not 100% familiar with the G2 flap handle, but I do not think it changes how the flaps retract, so either way should be fine, as long as you have not changed to the SuperStol wings (totally different flap system).

Please PM me your current mailing address and I will get them out in the next couple weeks.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
danerazz
Veteran Member

Previous

Return to Just Aircraft