The other "R" engine

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
danerazz
Veteran Member

The other "R" engine

Post by danerazz »

My long awaited Powerplant arrived today. Planning on cover/paint this summer/fall and FF indoors over the fall/winter.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Tralika
Veteran Member

Re: The other "R" engine

Post by Tralika »

Dane,
I'm assuming you'll be the first to put a radial on a Highlander. I for one can't wait to see how it works out. I have about 1000 hours in Beavers, love those round engines.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

It'll be the baddest- and best-sounding Highlander...
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

That engine is beautiful!

A real piece of art!

Enjoy!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Tralika wrote:Dane,
I'm assuming you'll be the first to put a radial on a Highlander. I for one can't wait to see how it works out. I have about 1000 hours in Beavers, love those round engines.
I have a few hundred hours in DC-3s and BE-18s, so this is definitely a labor of love and an example of emotion overcoming logic.

There is one guy in NZ who is also doing it, I have been in touch with him about his project. He retired not too long ago, but as any aviation enthusiast he just ended up flying more after retirement and last I heard had stalled a bit on his project. We have slightly different approaches to how we are doing the same thing, though.

Right now my wings are ALMOST ready to cover (wingtips, filler and rigging remain) and my fuselage is really close as well (battery and ELT will mount in the back...3 guesses why, and I need to get them mounted before covering). The firewall forward will be done after cover and paint to better utilize the weather, and the instrument panel will be one of the last things to be installed. Planning no cowl for weight and I just like to look at the engine (I'm not going to lie, I am a bit worried about the weight but my math says it will work out).

My timeline right now has me hopefully covering and painting at the end of August and into September, then move the fuselage back into the basement for engine mounting. First runs when the weather breaks in the spring and if all of this happens, fly it spring and see you with it at OSH '15.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Very cool Dane....Looking forward to hearing about the first engine start, keep us all posted

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”