Aileron contol arm alingment

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Aileron contol arm alingment

Post by Tralika »

I'm installing my aileron pulleys on my standard Highlander (not SS) wing. The manual says to install the pulleys close enough to the rib so the web acts as a cable keeper to keep the cable on the pulley when slack. It's obvious that the upper cable will rub on the rib web if the pulley is installed in that position. I did a search and found one previous thread about this issue. Someone said that Troy told them to bend the upper aileron control arm to make it line up with the pulley. The manual also says cable keepers are supplied for each pulley and how to install them. It would appear there is no way to use the cable keeper on the upper aileron pulley unless the pulley is mounted a little further away from the rib web. This would solve the problem of the cable rubbing on the rib web but the cable would pull on the arm a slight angle.

What's the solution?
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Aileron contol arm alingment

Post by gkremers »

John,
I copied what someone else did and it worked out fine. The pulley should be very close to the rib so it acts as a keeper as you said. The keeper can still be installed as it will fit between the aft spar and the rib. Center it between the the rib and aft spar, kind of right in the corner. I put a joggle in the bell crank on the aileron to clear the rib, hopefully you can see the joggle in the picture and how it offsets the cable from the rib.

Gary
N325AB
IMG_0962.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Gary,
Thanks for the reply. I can see the joggle in the control arm in your photo. It looks very nicely done. I spoke to Scott at the Just factory today. He said to back the pulley away from the rib web just far enough so that the cable clears the top of the rib web when installed. I guess there's more than one solution to this problem. I like the cable fairing in your photo as well. I've played around with making some little fairings similar to that using the technique shown on the EAA web site hints for home builders video. It worked out pretty well. I plan to make fairings for my plane as well.
John N.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
ScottieB
Forum Regular

Post by ScottieB »

John, keep in mind that you DO need use those cable keepers on your pulleys. You don't want to take any chances with those cables coming off.
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Will do, Thanks.
John N.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon

Return to “Just Aircraft”