Stiff (very) Elevator

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
BRS
Forum Regular

Stiff (very) Elevator

Post by BRS »

Today during preflight I thought the elevator seemed a bit stiff. After a short flight I decided it's actually quite stiff and terminated the flight. Upon instigation I found that the 'horn' between the push tubes (photo below) was so stiff I could hardly move it. Although the plane has been hangared it's been quite warm and humid. I'm guessing the shaft decided to rust. So much so that I was not even able to remove it - yet. The shaft seems frozen in the horn but the shaft moves in the airframe. The bubbles in the photo are penetrating oil.

Has anyone seen this happen before?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Re: Stiff (very) Elevator

Post by User GDS »

It looks like your bellcrank is pivoting on a piece of steel tubing, I'm pretty sure mine pivots on an AN bolt. I don't remember if there is a bushing or not, but the cadmium plating on the bolt will inhibit corrosion.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Query this forum and you'll find where I posted quite some time ago this bushing you have should have been replaced with a an6-40 bolt. This is a part you should remove and inspect and regrease each annual. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Here's a link to the thread Jak referenced: http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=18267.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
BRS
Forum Regular

Post by BRS »

Thanks for the input! I knew I could get good info here.
Yes, as soon as I saw (I'm the second owner) 4130 tube in 4130 tube it was easy to see that something was going to eventually happen.

On another note. This bell-crank looks rather labor intensive to build. Seems it would be much easier to fabricate from square tubing just larger than the round tubing for the shaft. This would eliminate the welds on the ends. Just drill the square tube, slide in the round tube and weld. The notch the ends.
Trilander Ted
Seasoned Member

Post by Trilander Ted »

I drill out the correct A/N bolt on the lathe down (length wise) then put an exit hole (cross wise) and tap a grease zerk thread on the hex end of bolt. Naturaly, the exit hole should be located close to the center of the bellcrank. That way, all you need for condition inspection is a shop towel and a hand grease gun plus a light. That's one of the things I would add to the kit, or at least recommend it. I found it difficult to reach through my trap door and disassemble then reassemble serious parts while on my hands and knees. Hope this helps. Ted
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Great idea!

John
Trilander Ted wrote:I drill out the correct A/N bolt on the lathe down (length wise) then put an exit hole (cross wise) and tap a grease zerk thread on the hex end of bolt. Naturaly, the exit hole should be located close to the center of the bellcrank. That way, all you need for condition inspection is a shop towel and a hand grease gun plus a light. That's one of the things I would add to the kit, or at least recommend it. I found it difficult to reach through my trap door and disassemble then reassemble serious parts while on my hands and knees. Hope this helps. Ted
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Doug Baird

Post by Doug Baird »

Here is the reference to a post I did in 2009 addressing this issue.
Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:03 am

I have made a modification as indicated above to the bellcrank bushing.
The first photo shows the installation of the bushing before drilling and riveting.
I was concerned that there was no lubrication on this and, as can be seen from the photo, the bellcrank had a quarter inch of sideways play.

The second photo shows a modified bushing with 1/16" weep holes drilled, the ends tapped with a cap in one end and a zerk fitting in the other plus two .0125" nylon washers punched to the size of the bushing.

Photo three shows the bushing (with a 90 degree zerk fitting) and washers installed.

alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

Ted,

Thank you very much for the idea of the grease zerk fitted bolt. I made one the other day and installed it today. This is a great idea and it should work well for the life of the airplane. :D

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

What are you going to sell
those for?

John
alan wrote:Ted,

Thank you very much for the idea of the grease zerk fitted bolt. I made one the other day and installed it today. This is a great idea and it should work well for the life of the airplane. :D

Alan
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Old thread, looking for some pics. Anyone have pics of how to install this grease zerk mod? Unfortunately, some of the pics in the thread have disappeared.

This sounds like a worthwhile mod and I'm at the perfect point in my build to do it.

Thanks,
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
GreggC

Post by GreggC »

Trilander Ted wrote:I drill out the correct A/N bolt on the lathe down (length wise) then put an exit hole (cross wise) and tap a grease zerk thread on the hex end of bolt. Naturaly, the exit hole should be located close to the center of the bellcrank. That way, all you need for condition inspection is a shop towel and a hand grease gun plus a light. That's one of the things I would add to the kit, or at least recommend it. I found it difficult to reach through my trap door and disassemble then reassemble serious parts while on my hands and knees. Hope this helps. Ted
Any concern that drilling the center of the bolt will weaken it ??
Brilliant idea, just wondering about strength.
Gregg
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Clark in AZ wrote:Unfortunately, some of the pics in the thread have disappeared.
Luckily, I saved Doug Baird's pictures back when they were first published.
Elevator Bushing - Doug Baird 1.JPG
Elevator Bushing - Doug Baird 2.JPG
Elevator Bushing - Doug Baird 3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Excellent! Thanks much, I now have them saved as well...

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”