Ideas for those still building

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

During my build I asked tons of questions and looked at this site often for ideas, tips and tricks others posted. I'm going to post a few of the them here, some are my ideas and others were shamelessly stolen from others.

Many of us decided to use a Ray Allen servo for the elevator trim. Steve D posted a pic a couple of years ago that simplified the install of a fiberglass cover. The cover itself is not that hard, I used blue foam to get the correct shape and then covered with 2 layers of 9oz glass. I decided on the T2-7A servo, it has plenty of throw and is controlled with a coolie hat on the grip.
IMG_0231.jpg
IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_1090.jpg
IMG_1091.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Re: Ideas for those still building

Post by User GDS »

Until recently I wasn't interested in the electric trim, I like the simplicity of the cable system. My cable is starting to have some resistance and when I'm light in the tail, I don't get enough nose-up-trim. Thanks for the pictures, I'm putting it on my list for the next annual.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I wanted a little more room for the access cover back by the elevator control horns. My openings droop down which gives you additional room to get to the bushings and bolts. The backing plate that the cover screws into is made from 4 layers of 9oz glass. To get the correct contour for the fiberglass I covered the area with 1 mil plastic, 4 layers of glass were used. Nutplates were then riveted to the backing plates. I've seen some planes that have removable plates that cover much of the fuselage area under the horizontal stabilizers, this would be another way to go and gives the addition benefit of getting to the tailwheel spring bolt.
IMG_0249.jpg
IMG_0252.jpg
IMG_1416.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

I decided to use an invisible hinge on the oil door. One nice feature of this hinge is it is spring loaded to the open position. Once the Cam Lock is opened the door stays open and will flop around in the breeze. I always open mine after landing, it helps the heat escape, hopefully helping to cool the electronic ignition.
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0928.jpg
IMG_0930.jpg
IMG_1423.jpg
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

The close out pieces between the flaps and turtle deck was something I knew I wanted. Rick posted a pic of his final product, that's what I tried to duplicate. I started with some cardboard templates to get the correct shape. I decided to fabricate small ribs to close out the ends.
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0900.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg
IMG_1429.jpg
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

The firewall to boot cowl closeout was something I really wanted to change. The factory instructions have you use a piece of baffle seal. It works, it's simple but I wanted something more durable that would seal better and give the boot cowl more strength in that area. Troy posted some great pis of his Super STOL build, low and behold he did exactly what I wanted. I used his idea, added some nut plates so the boot cowl is now very strong in that area and is easily removed if needed.
IMG_1115.jpg
IMG_1136.jpg
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Rick posed a pic of his under seat storage, no need to recreate the wheel, used his idea.
IMG_1134.jpg
IMG_1419.jpg
Just Aircraft NZ Ltd

Post by Just Aircraft NZ Ltd »

Beautiful work. Those flap seals should really enhance the wing.
John Hood and Grant Coldicott
Just Aircraft NZ Limited
Just Aircraft's New Zealand and Australian Agents
http://www.justaircraft.co.nz
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Very nice!

I want to add an oil door & the flap
to fuse seals, as well.

Thanks!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Thanks for posting this...Nice work and Good Ideas.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

Hi Again...I'm preparing to mount a Ray Allen servo and reread the installation info. In there it says "Ray Allen Servos can be mounted in any position, but they must be protected from water exposure." Have you had any moisture problems? I'm trying to think of how one would do this. From Ray Allen again "For most aircraft designs, the trim servo will be installed inside the control surface to control a trim tab" Damn...for some reason I got the impression that they were essentially water proof and could be mounted in the weather.
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

You should be able to just mount a cover as above. As long as you can keep direct water exposure from spray and rain off it should be good (I.e. seal the front of the cover).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

You can't see it in the picture but the cover has a small seal on the inside that compresses into the fabric.

Gary
N325AB
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I had to replace my ignition modules a couple of years ago. That same year I saw all of the EuroFoxes at Sun&Fun with circular, screen covered, vents in the cowlings. I talked to a EuroFox rep and he told me it was to prevent fuel boiling after shut down. I have never had vapor lock but I thought, even before I saw these vents, that heat might be the cause of the module failures. So I made my own using light-weight aluminum screen, not window screen, from Lowes and fiberglass cloth and epoxy from Auto Zone. They are placed above the carbs, slightly off because the carbs aren't exactly even and I wanted the vents to be, well, you know.

Check these pics out.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Alan,
Anything you can do to let the heat escape after shutdown is a good thing for the ignition modules.

Nice job

Return to “Just Aircraft”