Wing incidence and elevator setting

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Wing incidence and elevator setting

Post by Allan »

I cannot seem to find the discussion on main wing incidence and or elevator settings. The discussion indicates that people are finding a need to adjust parts of the aircraft to balance the slight out of trim. My aircraft has arrived but I cannot get to building for a few months yet. This matter seems important enough that if there is something that can be done before assembly begins it would make sense to get that prepared now. Steve says his gap seals helped adjust his nose angle and that suggests to me that maybe there is still room to adjust the wing incidence slightly rather than add a positive trim to the elevator for instance. I am fitting gap seals as Steve has clearly demonstrated they work!

Speaking to a guy here, the scouts went to a full flying tail plane get around what sounds like a similar problem. With more Superstols coming on line we should be getting more info on this.

Allan
danerazz
Veteran Member

Re: Wing incidence and elevator setting

Post by danerazz »

The tail incidence would decrease the need for elevator up trim to fly level, but the wing will still generate a tremendous nose-down pitch as speed increases. The gap seals help because they change the characteristics of the wing. If you only adjust the incidence, then fix it there, you will have too much "up" at low speeds. There either needs to be changes to the wing, or an adjustable stab, or a compromise (which is basically what you have now).
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Something not to take lightly. Most likely very little will happen , ie the compromise. This won't be me doing it as I don't have the expertise but I am interested to know what people have been finding as more Superstols start to come on line and maybe there will be something that works or adjusts the "compromise".

Allan
levyland
Veteran Member

Post by levyland »

Howdy Alan,
I live in New Zealand so I can help you out with this a little closer. go to this linkhttp://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=23408 or look at all of my posts. You can send me an email or phone number and I can call to discuss Cheers John
Allan
Seasoned Member

Post by Allan »

Thanks John,

That's the link I was looking for. I will contact you.

Allan

Return to “Just Aircraft”