Trailering

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Trailering

Post by Familyflyer »

I am soon going to be bringing my Superstol to the airport. I plan to get a towing company with a deck to pick it up. Should the plane be facing forward? The reason I ask is I think the Avid needed to be towed tail forward. I cant remember why though. I am building the tie to hold the wing to the fuse so that will be fine but what about the ailerons and flaps. What is the best way to support the ailerons? Thinking rigid triangle shaped foam blocks maybe taped in place holding them up and away from the tail?
The flaps could move down and beat on the fuse to I would think, what have you done there? Not sure if there is many answers out there with the plane being so new but figured we could all scratch our heads together. :D

Of course if it all seams like to much trouble I will just fly it out of the field next door :lol:
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
http://www.amateurbuiltfamilyfun.com/
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Trailering

Post by gkremers »

Troy,
I'm sure there's a way to secure the ailerons and flaps with foam and soft webbing. How far and at what speed do you need to travel? I'm guessing you have the rigging complete? If it were me I would trailer without the wings on. It only took a couple of hours to install the wings, aileron/flaps and wing tips. I just don't like the idea of the wings only supported by the rear spar bolt and struts. Sitting in my hangar stationary is one thing, bouncing down the road is another.

Just my 2 cents

Looking forward to a first flight report.

Gary
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

On the Avid there was a support on the front spar down to the lift strut for trailering. I think that was a good idea, maybe these planes can handle that cantilever load? It will be a 20 min drive at say 45mph. I really do not want to take the wings off as it will mess up all my wiring. The folding wings and trailering was the nice part to be able to be 100% done at home then trailer it. Kind of pointless to advertise as trailerable if you really shouldn't be doing so. Re rigging the SuperSTOL wings will be way more than 2 hours work, I get really cranky if I have to do things more than once :roll:
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

I suggest you call the factory. They have trailered their planes thousands of miles and I'm sure will be happy to advise you on the best way to do it.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

When I asked a couple of years ago, the guys at the factory suggested the front spar struts were a good idea for transporting any distance.

They also said the plane could face either way, depending on whether I wanted the bugs to get into the open end of the wings or into the open turtledeck. :shock: And then they suggested heavy-duty plastic garbage bags taped over those openings would prevent bug intrusion.

Here are some earlier threads on trailering:
http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 33&p=42346
http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... 19&p=38564
http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=18490
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

It seems to me that a big blue tarp would be cheap insurance.
Super Stol Kit #299
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

...until it starts flapping and beats the fabric to death.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

That's why you tie it down.
Super Stol Kit #299
jak
Veteran Member

Post by jak »

Tarp, bad idea, sticky plastic, wont work on the long haul and its a pain n the arss to get off, The way we haul them is to tie a sweatshirt around the front two flying wires, the shirt is large enough to make a thick enough bundle so nothing touches aileron wise.Ttie another one where the tubing meats in the middle at the rear of the turtle deck opening, this keeps the flaps from hitting anything. Have low fuel 5 gal preferably less in both wings, load front first this keeps toung weight where the cars suspension helps with bumps.
If you must haul with more fuel then a set of front spar supports must be made. On tail wheel raise the tail wheel off the deck and support the fuselage with a stand. Tie down so front and back movement cannot happen. we use four straps for this one each side going front and back to the sides of the trailer then put a fifth strap to tie the nose and a sixth the secure the tail. and drive it like you stol it. Jak
Pick up a rifle and you instantly change from a subject to a citizen.
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

Thanks jack. Raising the tail with a stand is a good point. I will do that. I will be sure to take pics of what I did. Should be on the road before the week is out;-)
Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Anybody got any pictures?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Familyflyer
Veteran Member

Post by Familyflyer »

So this week I got the plane to the hanger with out to much trouble. Here is a bit of info as to how I did it.

I called a local towing company to use their 21ft tilt deck. It would be much easier than trying to push it onto the trailer I had.

Jack made some great pointers on this link and I decided to give him a shout as well to see if I could learn a few more things. A great tip was adding a bolt in the lift strut bracket for an anchor point for straps. We tied it forward and back from these points and then used a big strap over the main tires. I added a strap over the tail wheel and two traps to lock it side to side. I wasn't going anywhere. I did not support the front spar as it was a short drive and no fuel was in the tanks. I did add gust locks to the control surfaces.

On the tail wheel I bolted a block to the fuse so the shock did not have to do any work. I also added tape to the rudder cables to make sure they did not beat against the fuselage per Jack's idea.

We rolled down the highway in heavy icing conditions :D The airframe got coated pretty good. Bugs was not one of my concerns like one of you posted! Lol.

We rolled it off at the hanger to begin the final touches!

Troy Branch

SuperStol 914
Branchair on Youtube
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

Hey Branch! This airplane is not equipped for know icing conditions! What the heck were you thinking?? ;)
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Troy,
Glad to hear everything went well. The paint job looks excellent.

Had fun on the test flights

Gary
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

SuperFly wrote:Hey Branch! This airplane is not equipped for know icing conditions! What the heck were you thinking?? ;)
I think you misread the regs. They cover flight into known icing. This was freight into known icing. He didn't need regs... he needed rags.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.

Return to “Just Aircraft”