Shock Monster

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
alan
Veteran Member

Shock Monster

Post by alan »

Anybody heard of these shocks? They have a bungee replacement system for the Highlander and the SS.

Alan
If I had known I would live this long I would have taken better care of myself.
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Re: Shock Monster

Post by scubarider2 »

Have not heard of them. Did a Google search and found nothing either. Do the have a website?
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I have a set on my Highlander and really like them. Big improvement over the stock bungies.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
scubarider2
Topic Moderator

Post by scubarider2 »

Oh Yea....I have seen those. Would be a great improvement over just the bungees. Price tag is a little high just for a replacement unless you are doing some off the beaten path landings. I am on tricycle gear so no need right now. Would be something to consider when my bungees give out. I have the same bungees on the plane since being built. Over 5 years now!
Dennis
Live as though you were going to die tomorrow, learn as though you were going to live forever...
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

20150219_162517_resized_1.jpg
OK, got my Shock Monster assemblies and installed them. Nice. Anybody ordering them needs to tell Tony the mounting bracket width and the bolt size. My early Highlander has 3/4" brackets and 1/4" bolts. Apparently the newer Highlanders are 1" wide. I had to send them back for modification and I installed bushings, supplied as stock, to reduce the 3/8" bolt holes to 1/4". Installation is almost plug-n-play. I also had to buy a nitrogen bottle and regulator as they are shipped empty and therefore must be charged before installation or with all the weight off the tires. Tony claims 15lb total weight; my bathroom scale shows 18lb. Bathroom scales aren't all that accurate, especially on the low end so Tony is probably correct. My complete bungee struts were 5lb. Real world weight increase of 10 - 13lb. I lost 40lb this last year so I'm still ahead.

Since I have replaced my bungees 4 times in the last 8-1/2 years I went for this quite expensive route. Plus it is really difficult to make a perfect landing with stiff bungees. I'm not complaining about the bungees really, but I think I will like the Shock Monster system a lot better in the long run.

Landing is exactly the same as before except there is much more forgiveness as far as rebound goes. There is no tendency to veer or sway on the roll-out. The quality of workmanship is excellent. Tony has done a really nice job of design and manufacture. Check out these pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JHR
Forum Regular

Post by JHR »

I have just ordered shock monsters for my Highlander.

What pressure have you found to be satisfactory?

John
alan
Veteran Member

Post by alan »

I didn't actually put in a specific pressure, and, because checking the pressure reduces it, I don't know what it is. I just put some in and did a series of taxi tests, mostly to get the pressure even.

Then I did several landings and reduced it a couple of times, along with the evening out process again. Tony has a recommendation on that and said that Steve has his on the lower end of that range.

Have fun; I do.

Alan
marl59
Seasoned Member

Post by marl59 »

I have been playing with pressures on mine and #315 of nitrogen is the sweet spot for mine.
JHR
Forum Regular

Post by JHR »

Thanks for all your help.

Can't wait to get mine but it will be a while as I am in Wanaka New Zealand.

John

Return to “Just Aircraft”