Highlander Empty Weight

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
RV6
Forum Regular

Highlander Empty Weight

Post by RV6 »

For those who have completed their Highlander,what has been your empty weight?????
I was REALLY surprised,because I was trying to keep it light per Billy P and I was thinking
this plane came in at 780#..Maybe this Highlander is eating at nite when I am not LOOKING!!!!!

What I have is the large header tank,heavy landing gear,Airflow performance fuel inj,no uplostery,12 gal tanks,3200 B tailwheel,no GPS,

What did you guys come in at?????

Thanks
John
Jack L
Veteran Member

Re: Highlander Empty Weight

Post by Jack L »

John,

Could the scale be out? I am at 718 on skis and 739 on extreme gear and 26" bush wheels. I have two headers and way too much heavy insulation.

Jack
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I'll be happy at 800#, but I know that going in with my configuration. I am still trying to keep everything else light. How much paint you got on that thing?
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi John,
Rotax 912uls, Standard gear legs, 21" Matco tires on 8" rims, single brakes, 3.5 usg header tank, 13 usg wing tanks, electronic panel with no efis yet, Stewart's paint, aluminum fuel lines, fully finished interior, Diamond checker plate floors, aluminum door trim, pulley and wing fairings, 16 lb of insulation plus numerous personalized features and add-ons...
Total weight with oil, coolant and minimum fuel was 720 lb. That was also my target weight when building it. :D
Dan
Highlander #241
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

John,
Mine came in at 717.

I have 2 header tanks, Rage gear, 850x6 tires and full interior. The panel has a Trigg radio and transponder, GRT 8.4" Sport SX EFIS and EIS, Alpha AOA and a PS engineering intercom. The paint is fairly heavy, 4 cross coats of Stewarts ECO prime, one additional primer coat before the Acro Glow base white plus red design and black striping.

Gary
RV6
Forum Regular

Post by RV6 »

I have no insulation at all,but I have leading edge alum wrap.I did all the painting myself,but I end sanding much of
it off!!!!Because of the fuel injection I was told by Trey to use the heavy batt in back and use the Alaskan Bushwheel 3200 tailwheel
for weight and balance issues.....The scales were cert 3 months ago..Oh well it is getting there ..

Thanks
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

John,

I have the heavy battery as well, at this point it what it is I guess but it does seem high and I would test the scales to be sure they are accurate.

This week I will test the propeller again and get back to you with some numbers. I told Sensenich that the pins gave me inaccurate pitch settings and they asked me to return the propeller to them but I wasn't willing to live without it so maybe I will send it back during the spring thaw. As you may have read I set the pitch with a digital protractor and I may have found the sweet spot. More to follow.

Jack

Return to “Just Aircraft”