Superstol flap lever roller bolt slot

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Superstol flap lever roller bolt slot

Post by Allan »

Whilst doing my final assembly of the flap mechanism I found I was still getting slight resistances and even a lock back unless I kept the roller bolt quite loose.
I discovered that where the slot is cut the handle is effectively a smaller diameter and as such when the button is pushed the bolt goes back and the large washers have to climb up onto the non slotted area. In my case it was holding the pin back occasionally - maybe that is part of the problem in flight hence the need for the "pull back button" on the top.

Hold a ruler over the slot along the handle and you will see a significant gap.
I cut the crown off each end of the slot as can be seen in the attached photo and this has made my mechanism very smooth and consistent .............. at least in the workshop.

Maybe others can check their mechanisms to see if it could be an issue.
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Allan
Seasoned Member

Re: Superstol flap lever roller bolt slot

Post by Allan »

An update to the flap handle. What I found is that although the adjustment to the slot sides makes a smoother mechanism, in flight I had problems and gradually figured out that the handle outer flexed too much and with a relatively tight (even when lubricated) central push rod for the latching catches, it would jamb inside the outer tube.

My solution was to weld a rib on the underside of the outer tube as well as reinforce near the max bending point. Then I replaced the central tube with a smaller diameter inner and used parts of the old tube for the button. For me, I have not had any problems since nor have I felt any doubt about the security of the latch.

VH-YOS has now completed her test flying phase and has been released to the greater wilds of Australia!!

Return to “Just Aircraft”