Transition Training in Brasstown

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
957DK
Seasoned Member

Transition Training in Brasstown

Post by 957DK »

Hi folks. I just got back from doing some intensive transition training at the Payne brothers complex in Brasstown, NC. I'm a couple of weeks out from the first flight and thought this would be a good time to dust off the tail wheel skills. I'm building a Highlander with the Alaskan mod package, 912ULS Rotax, extreme gear, and 8" tires (for now). The brothers have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to anything Highlander or Rotax specific. I had a couple of questions that they were able to answer for me.

I flew 10 hours with Vic over the course of three absolutely beautiful days. I like it when the gods of wind, rain, and fog cooperate. Billy had other commitments so I wasn't able to fly with him, maybe next time. Vic is a great instructor and makes the whole process a ton of fun. They did their level best to put me in a plane that closely matches what I have. I'm now confident that I can make the first flight without bending mine. They had me in a Highlander with the standard gear, 26" bush tires, and an 80hp Rotax. One of my concerns was put to bed during the training. How does this thing perform near or at gross? I'm a big guy, so is Vic and we were flying a plane with 20 less horse power than I'll have, no problems. I went back to the hotel beat up and smiling at the end of each day, sleep did not elude me. It was obvious that Vic truly enjoys teaching others and I'm now a much better pilot after flying with him. It was money well spent and I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you're getting close go fly with these guys, you won't regret it.

Cheers,
Dan Kretchmer
N957DK
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: Transition Training in Brasstown

Post by gkremers »

I agree 100% with your comments. I posted something similar when I trained with Vic last Summer. I had virtually zero tail wheel time and no Highlander time. By the end of 10 hours (3 on pavement) I was impressed with Vic's ability to train and the Highlanders handling qualities.

Good luck on your first flight

Gary

Return to “Just Aircraft”