Trying to Rejuvenate Myself

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
bluemax
Veteran Member

Trying to Rejuvenate Myself

Post by bluemax »

I don't know that I'm doing myself any favors by posting this, but that has never stopped me before. So here goes. . . . . I purchased my Highlander Extreme kit back on February 9, 2012, at the factory. I brought it home to Newark, Ohio, and unloaded it into a 38 x 40 building that I had built specifically to be a Highlander kit assembly factory. I also purchased a Steve Dentz windshield, a Jim Pekola tailwheel, a Viking HF-110 engine, and a few other needed accessories.

Fast forward a little over 3 years. . . . my Highlander parts are still sitting in my assembly factory, many of them in EXACTLY the same spot. Over the years, I have been asked, "...have you started on your Highlander yet?" about 13,492 times. . . from my fellow workers, my dentist, neighbors, even my doctor (who can barely speak English, but manages to put together "the question"). I don't know how he even knew I was building a plane??

This apathy became contageous. I basically quit flying my plans-built Tiger Cub. It sits in the hangar at the airport, and I pay hangar rent every month. But I haven't flown it for over a year. Until yesterday afternoon, I hadn't even SEEN it in over a year. Many things have changed at the airport, including an 8 foot perimeter fence, and there is a new 5 million dollar hangar for the Aerial Corporation where they are housing their new jet, soon to be accompanied by two others.

I digress. Back to my apathy. I retired back in October 2014 after 36 years working the road as a state trooper. But that has little to do with my reluctance to get active. I totally blame my apathy on a too-comfortable recliner, and addictive television programming. I have a buddy who had a similar dilemma, and he cancelled his cable TV so ge could get more things done. Probem is, he is a bachelor, and that wouldn't go over so well in my house.

My visit to the airport was rejuvenating. . . invigorating. Even more so when I turned on the master switch and saw that the battery showed 11.7 volts! I figured it would be stone dead (Odyssey PC650, bought in 2004). All I need now is an annual, and a BFR. And in the middle of that, I intend to jump into my Highlander construction. I fully expect to HATE myself. . . once I find out that I could have been doing this long ago, and all the fun I have missed out on. Taking that demo ride with Troy was a blast, but that was a long time ago. Maybe I can't call it a "demo" ride, since I had already bought the kit and they were loading it. . . I just had never flown in one.

There are still a few prerequisites. . . I have to locate all of my scattered tools and organize them. That will involve cleaning out the basement, where many of my tools are still laying after building the Tiger Cub (mostly in the basement). But I am ready to get started, and hope to be asking questions to the forum soon. I've got fellow owner/builder Phil Gasboro that will be having his Highlander trucked up here, if it isn't here already, and Bruce Johnson, about 8 miles away, and will also be building a Highlander. Lots of support. Even writing this post is good therapy. I hope it continues.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Re: Trying to Rejuvenate Myself

Post by Johnny C! »

Even if you only do add, or install
one part per day, your Highlander
will be that much closer to being
finished.

Get after it!

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Max,
Sounds like you just answered your own question... Bruce is likely your best bet! There is nothing like having another builder at the same stage of construction that you can share ideas with and feed off each other. Hearing about each other's progress and trying to keep up... or ahead, is the best motivator going. You have an enormous advantage over a lot of builders if Bruce is only 8 miles away, and if Phil is moving close to you, you will have the benefit of his knowledge and experience as well as a "Working Model" to look at for ideas and inspiration. If Bruce hasn't received his kit yet, he may even be willing to come over and help you get started on your Highlander, just for the experience.
I found that having someone help me get started was the biggest hurdle! My kit sat for almost two months before I started because I wasn't sure where to start, but once I got going, things just seemed to fall into place and progress was fairly steady. There will always be reasons not to work on it, but having Bruce and Phil to encourage you will make a huge difference. I don't think I would have completed mine nearly as fast as I did (3 years plugging away) without regular communications (sometimes several times a day) with Jack Leroux. Jack and I fed each other a lot of tips and ideas that made the process go quicker and helped each other through the tougher spots during the build. We never actually met physically until over a year into working with each other as we live a couple hundred miles apart.
Good luck with your build... you have all of us on the forum cheering for you. Like John said... start small and do a little every day... and give Bruce a call... I suspect you will be glad you did!
Regards,
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

I agree with the guys on getting together with fellow builders, that will build momentum. Start with something fun and easy, like put the fuselage on the gear so it will roll around.

Are you going to Oshkosh this July? That's always good for a boost. I go every year, but it was more fun when I was in the building process. lots of stuff to buy, people to talk to. (Snap-On tool tent usually has 20% off for the show, I always go there so I have something nice to take home for my wife...)

You don't have to cancel the TV, just get rid of the easy chair, they're deadly.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Hey Max, I'm just back in the country today, and just saw your post. Well, we are about to start on our journey to build 2 Highlander Extremes. My shop is about to be finished, as all of my farm equipment in now moving to my new barn. I should be home early next week. So lets plan the build schedule, and show the forum what Buckeyes (read "Ohio Bush Planes") can do.

Cheers All!
Buc ( Bruce)
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

bluemax wrote:There are still a few prerequisites. . . I have to locate all of my scattered tools and organize them. That will involve cleaning out the basement, where many of my tools are still laying after building the Tiger Cub (mostly in the basement).
I've hit a few stopping points where I let other priorities get in the way of building. Here's what I'd suggest: Ignore the "prerequisites". Skip the organizing. Skip the cleaning. Don't wait for anyone else.

Just get started. Not tomorrow. Not later today.

Start Now.

Stand up from the computer. Walk to the silent Highlander factory. Grab your Builder's Manual and do the first task. If you're missing a tool, go get it and finish the task. Never mind the dust. Clean later. Build now.

Start Now.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

That sounds like my shop, it's a mess!
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Nordlys

Post by Nordlys »

Hello Max,

I am more of a peep here than anything else but there is nothing like an encouraging word so I will speak up now. You CAN do it! Nock off the TV and voila! I disconnected my dish about 8 years ago and am amazed at what gets done around here... Good luck with your Highlander.
Nathan Hanna

Super STOL 394
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Love to see a picture of that 38x40 Highlander factory..Sounds like the way to go...
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
bluemax
Veteran Member

Post by bluemax »

Hey Rodger,

This is the outside of my Highlander factory. I'm a little too embarrassed to show you a current picture of the interior, but I will post one soon, as soon as I square everything away.

I may end up using the same colors for my Highlander. I get lots of compliments on the building.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Rentz
Newark, Ohio
jjacky
Veteran Member

Post by jjacky »

I totally agree with Sheepdog...screw the incidentals...just go build something. You know once you get started on that something it'll be "Flame On"!
Plan not to be the first at the scene of the accident!

Return to “Just Aircraft”