Engine Vibration

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Jack L
Veteran Member

Re: Engine Vibration

Post by Jack L »

John,

Rotax specifically states to use a propeller with a Mass Moment Of Inertia (MMOI) that is below 5800 kgcmcu or premature gearbox failure will occur. Other causes to premature failure include low idle speeds, improper oil, exceeding oil change intervals and I am sure there are others.

The only propeller manufacturer that I know who posts MMOI is Sensenich, there could be others but I haven't seen it. I am now running a 74.8" Kiev and sent Kiev an email prior to installation requesting the MMOI, they responded with 4700 kgcmcu.

Search MMOI in this forum and you will find links to an EAA video and other information on the subject.
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

My gearbox vibrations began after around 300 hours in service.

I have not performed the test myself, but I believe that the 72" warp drive propeller with tapered tips is below the MMOI standard. The unverified story is that the propeller is too heavy if it has squared tips, but just makes it under if it has tapered tips. I have always used Shell Sport plus 4 oil, Rotax oil filters and performed service at 50 hour intervals. I think where I'm different than the average Rotax user is in the number of power cycles I put it through. I am 10 minutes from the desert and I fly down there and do 5 to 10 take offs and landings per hour. It's kinda like having the plane in flight school duty.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Post by Johnny C! »

Thanks!

John

Jack L wrote:John,

Rotax specifically states to use a propeller with a Mass Moment Of Inertia (MMOI) that is below 5800 kgcmcu or premature gearbox failure will occur. Other causes to premature failure include low idle speeds, improper oil, exceeding oil change intervals and I am sure there are others.

The only propeller manufacturer that I know who posts MMOI is Sensenich, there could be others but I haven't seen it. I am now running a 74.8" Kiev and sent Kiev an email prior to installation requesting the MMOI, they responded with 4700 kgcmcu.

Search MMOI in this forum and you will find links to an EAA video and other information on the subject.
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed

Return to “Just Aircraft”