Phase 1 Flight Plan

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Chief
Seasoned Member

Phase 1 Flight Plan

Post by Chief »

Highlander 1099S is ready for first flight; waiting for the registration card to confirm an appointment with my examiner for an airworthiness certificate. Any suggests for a Highlander Phase 1 flight test plan?
Johnny C!
Veteran Member

Re: Phase 1 Flight Plan

Post by Johnny C! »

I think the coolest thing Scott made me
aware of was that with the short field
capabilities of these aircraft, we made
crow hops for a while down the runway.
Lift off, fly down the runway and set
back down. We did the initial test
flights at CMU, so we had plenty of room
to do this. You get to test the aircraft
for flight, but without the commitment
to going around the pattern like larger
or faster aircraft would do. It gave me
a great intro back in the saddle after
flying very little for a number of years.

Scott did a great job helping me in a
lot of ways with my Phase 1.

John
There are many things that happen really fast when you are
flying an airplane. There is no sense in rushing any of the others.

I would much rather be looking down at the runway, than up at it.

Duane Sorenson & Rick Norton Gone West 6/8/09. Godspeed
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

If you have never tried "Crow Hopping" before I suggest you get with an instructor and try it in a familiar aircraft. Doing it for the first time in an unfamiliar aircraft might lead to a bad outcome. The same goes for Fast Taxi tests.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

My runway is 2500 feet. I appreciate the "crow hopping" advice, but I would prefer to go around and make a slughtly high and slghtly long approach with an target touchdown point at about 1/3 field. This will give time for a set up that ensures the field has been made and plenty of time over the grass to slide it in.

I'm looking for a flight by flight "To Do" list for about the first 5 hours of flight. The FAA example is way too complex for this plane. I can hone it down, but I was hoping some have already done that and could share wth the hnd sight of experience.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

I put one together but have not "used" it yet. I'll see if I can post it.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Thanks Dane. I appreciate the help.

Steve
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

For the very first flight;

Here is an excellent write up by Paul Dye, this is pretty close to what I have done for two first flights.

http://www.avweb.com/news/features/Home ... 346-1.html

I especially like the advice to ignore the avionics gadgetry and just fly the plane. This is a bad time to have everyone come to the airport to watch. For the two planes I built, I had two first-flights. One with nobody there but my trusted wrenchys, and the second one the next day with all the curious friends and well wishers.

For the subsequent Phase 1 flights, the Vans checklist is the best, I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Here's a link to a dropbox folder with some checklists.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vu91re4l7hqo ... wiDMa?dl=0

One is the checklist for flight testing the Vans RV12, another is my personal checklist for first flight in N485TM. If the link doesn't work, send my an e-mail and I'll forward it to you.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Okay, try number two. No guarantees it is worth anything, but this is what I came up with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

Many thanks to both of you for your assistance. This is exactly what I was looking for.
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

The idea is to print a page plus the test data sheet for each flight, use a clip board, and fill in the data as you go. I set up a spreadsheet that would then be used for interpolation of climb data and other points (stall, glide, fuel burn, etc.). At the end of phase 1 you would have a stack of sheets. It is also presumed that each flight is about an hour, and you could obviously combine two "flights" into a longer period or repeat one as required.

I had a version with a neat little intro page, but it has hidden itself somewhere on my computer.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
Jack L
Veteran Member

Post by Jack L »

Dane and GDS that is all great advice and is very close to what I did. The only other thing that I would suggest is that when you get tired of the upper air work (and you will) do circuits, and when you get tired of circuits do more circuits and never relax on the controls until you come to a full stop.

Have fun.

Jack
FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

I agree with Jack...
Also, I believe that crow hops are more dangerous than a standard circuit. You have to switch between take-off and landing too quickly to ensure everything is operating normally and there are more chances for something to go wrong, especially if it's a tail dragger under less than perfect conditions. Do one circuit with the engine up to temperature, then land, taxi to the hangar, remove the cowls and do a full check of all engine systems and control linkages. Staying in the circuit gives you the best chance for a good outcome if something should go wrong. Once you are convinced everything is 'normal' start expanding the envelope on subsequent flights. Stay safe and good luck on your first flight with the new plane!
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Chief
Seasoned Member

Post by Chief »

All good advice. Thanks. I'm going to search the old Forum entries for Highlander V speeds to have a conservative starting point. I thought they would be easy to find on the Net, but surprisingly not so. I'm looking for Vr, Vx, Vy, Vfe, Va, Vne, Vso and Vs. I'm starting with VG's on the underside of the horizontal stabilizer but none on the wings. At some point well into Phase 1 I will add VG's to the wings and see how control at slow speed improves.
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Chief wrote:I'm starting with VG's on the underside of the horizontal stabilizer but none on the wings. At some point well into Phase 1 I will add VG's to the wings and see how control at slow speed improves.
Looking forward to hearing the results on this. Do you have the spoilers?
Super Stol Kit #299

Return to “Just Aircraft”