Gemini Diesel

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Fresnoredneck
Forum Regular

Re: Gemini Diesel

Post by Fresnoredneck »

Did you get the video?? I can tell you now the Legend engine has no guts in it, it can't run but I would love to see Legend give it a try, it is in fact the same mock up that was shown at Friedrichshafen 2008??? The Superior engine in the U.S. Is also a mock up?? The only working engine is at Weslake in the UK and it has issues.

It's heavy, going to be heavier than a 912 and is probably a couple of years away, it's an expensive build as well.

Rich
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Here's a link

http://www.jetwhine.com/2008/08/gemini- ... strys-eye/

to a story written in 2008 claiming the Gemini was ready for flight testing in the Tecnam? Does anyone know if that testing ever occurred?
Super Stol Kit #299
Fresnoredneck
Forum Regular

Post by Fresnoredneck »

Nope never did, it's only just going through initial tests in UK at design house Weslake, has Legend or Superior stumped a video clip of the engine running?? Guys don't get hot and sticky for it cause it ain't going to happen soon, my guess is 12 to 24 months at minimum.

Rich

PS it's going to cost as well
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Ken, Thanks for posting that link...I really learned a lot from it. Makes it even more interesting to say the least. Surprised how long this is has been stalled out...the link is about 7 years old!
The quote that hit the nail on the head was: "I would say that the main reason that diesel aircraft engines have not been developed is simply that essentially no new aircraft engines have been developed since WW2. We are flying with more or less the same engine we had in 1945. All the money went into developing turbine engines and piston engines were simply slightly modified versions of older engines. " There's no new technology needed to make this work. It's seems to be simply getting a commitment from someone to invest and hang in there to make it happen. It's almost astonishing how much better this would be than what we have available now if they would only get it done. I recommend everyone read through the thread Ken posted to learn from it.
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

For those interested in diesels here's a link to a recent AOPA article:

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All- ... c_sect=tec
Super Stol Kit #299
Fresnoredneck
Forum Regular

Post by Fresnoredneck »

Well still no sight of the Superior diesel, no sight, no noise, not even the faint smell of diesel fumes. My guess is it isn't going to happen, everybody got wound up on good'ol American marketing, dummy engines and the promise of the good life, maybe the money has run out? Anybody else heard any concrete news??? Seen one running??
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

It doesn't require any magic to get it done..just work and the necessary investment...Nothing like inventing a turbo prop engine. I thought Superior was serious. Can't imagine them getting into it to play games..
Fresnoredneck
Forum Regular

Post by Fresnoredneck »

I know there has been management changes at Superior recently, maybe it's the new lords and masters ( the Chinese) who are holding the purse strings???
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

There have been a couple of articles lately (Kitplanes and elsewhere) on Diesel engines. They refer to the Gemini, but reference only the old press releases. My Guess is, if we don't see anything by Sun n Fun, then Superior my be putting the project on the back shelf.

Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
Fresnoredneck
Forum Regular

Post by Fresnoredneck »

Hi Bruce, you won't see anything at Sun n Fun, it ain't going to happen, not really a Superior choice to shelve it, hands tied is my scoop.
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Well, I just got some info from a Superior Air rep on the current status of the Gemini. He said...

"The Gemini is still being tested and modified prior to flight testing. About a year away yet from test flights."

What ever the issues are, this gives them credibility that they want to 'get it right' before they start selling them. I guess engines are a little different than Beta software, which gets distributed and let the users find the bugs.
If, in a year it's a real winner, it could take the market if it's not too heavy... I don't think there are any design issues that could sink it. The actual concept is well proven by the old German designs that flew so well and only got sidelined by politics, not design problems. Wouldn't it just be nice if a developer like this actually shared the real, actual details of whats happening with this project? I mean a regular, running account of like, "today we did this, and this is what happened, and this is how we are working on dealing with that....etc.'
We're actually getting a little of that with the Viking 130. But with the Viking, Honda has done "all" the work on the engine with it's grand resources. All Viking has to do is fuel supply, installation issues, mounts, and that kind of work.
BucF16
Veteran Member

Post by BucF16 »

Roger, Thanks for the update! I was unable to attend OSH as I had knee surgery and felt that there would be to much walking for me. I hope you all got to link up on Tuesday. Maybe next year.
Cheers,
Bruce
Bruce Johnson Highlander # 393
"Because I fly, I envy no man on Earth"
Builder web site:
http://www.bruceshighlander.blogspot.com
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Cummins has a cute 161 hp crate engine:

https://expeditionportal.com/cummins-no ... ate-motor/