Rudder Pedal Free Movement

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
mhcrowder
Veteran Member

Rudder Pedal Free Movement

Post by mhcrowder »

Ok, my build partner and I have made it to the rudder pedal installation phase. The builder's manual indicates some "massaging" will be need to get the pedals to move freely. What have others done to "message" the assembly for better/free-er movement? I've got over 5 hours into "massaging" these things and I still not sure how freely they need to move. The shims can also compress a little, so it's hard to check things without torquing the bolts down, just to find that it binds on one of the four attach points. ARGH. Very Very Frustrating.

Anyone have a sure fire system for getting the pedals installed with free movement?

==
Michael
Building Highlander #371
http://highlander371.blogspot.com/
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Rudder Pedal Free Movement

Post by SheepdogRD »

I fought with that until I measured the relative height of the mounts. The outside right mount was welded 0.040" lower than the others. Once I got that shimmed, the assembly moved smoothly.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
smiley
Forum Regular

Post by smiley »

I found the same problem as sheepdog. I used non-locking nuts and worked with the shims and then they work nicely.
Massaging is not a good term for this, More like tedious
taildrgfun
Veteran Member

Post by taildrgfun »

I leave all the bolts slightly loose so that everything can have a little tiny bit of free play and it really helps.
Steve Henry, Wild West Aircraft
(the Dead Stick Take-off Guy)
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Bringing back an old thread rather than starting a new one for the same problem. I am having the same problem but a little different. The tabs on my hinge rings were welded a bit skewed side to side. The holes line up barely but when mated, a side load is put on the tube making it harder to rotate. I am reluctant to wallow the holes out. Perhaps match drill to the next size bolt? Anybody have an update to this problem?

Thanks
Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ
Tralika
Veteran Member

Post by Tralika »

Clark,
I'm not normally a fan of drilling holes oversize to make things fit, but with those parts I think that's what I'd do.That rudder peddle assembly is very stiff and has four attach points. Once those parts find a happy, non-binding spot and are bolted down, I don't think they will move and bind up. It might be a good idea to call the factory and check with them as well. More than likely they have dealt with the same problem and they are the ones that made the misaligned part.
John Nealon
Wasilla, Alaska
Highlander Extreme #191
mykitlog.com/jnealon
BDA
Veteran Member

Post by BDA »

I had all of those problems as well.
I threw the plastc shims away, only for carpet I was told. They were too squishy

I clamped one end to the weld bench and heated and bent the pieces untill everything lined up and would rotate smoothly.

Then clamped one “bearing” down at a time and used aluminum shims to make level with no binding.

Then redrilled holes where needed.

Spent 2 long days getting this smooth and free moving.

With the amount of welding that goes into that assembly I was suprised at how close it was to being straight.
SuperStol XL Alaskan With Titan 340
N331AK. Shawn Taplin
Wing extensions,Symetrical Airfoil tail ribs (NACA 21)
Mods in progress: Heavier struts, Double slotted flaps
Goal: 15mph no wind
Clark in AZ
Veteran Member

Post by Clark in AZ »

Thanks guys for the feedback and suggestions. I spoke with the factory and they'll swap it out for me. So, that is what I'm going to do.

Clark
Building SuperSTOL Kit 512
Cave Creek, AZ

Return to “Just Aircraft”