fuel crossfeed problems

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
messenger
Seasoned Member

fuel crossfeed problems

Post by messenger »

What have you guys been doing about fuel tank crossfeed problems when parked on uneven or unlevel ground? I am looking at some check valves or possibly installing a couple of ball valves in the two lines that cause the problems. The check valves would be nice because you wont have to remember to turn on the fuel but they may not work in that type of installation. Ball valves come with the problem of always remembering to turn on your fuel. Any other ideas? R L Messenger
gkremers
Veteran Member

Re: fuel crossfeed problems

Post by gkremers »

I added a second header tank. The Andair Fuel valve mounted just forward of the flap handle has R,L, BOTH, OFF. I usually burn off 1Hr of fuel than switch tanks. The tanks can't cross feed in this setup unless you leave the valve on BOTH.
IMG_1407.jpg
IMG_1232.jpg
Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

good idea, more difficult to acheive in my plane , I have the 3 gallon header tank, and I do not want to add that much more weight, and too expensive to add two new tanks. appreciate your quick response.
Gil T
Veteran Member

Post by Gil T »

That can be a problem if you're on uneven ground. My cure was to install a cheap shut off valve in each line before it goes into the header tank and if I have to close one I have a 6 inch red flag I hang on the throttle if I need to use one. So far it's kept me from forgetting to turn it back on. If I do forget at least a heavy wing should tell me to open the valve. Of course running a tank dry might catch your attention also.

Gil T
messenger
Seasoned Member

Post by messenger »

Gil T thanks for the suggestion, that is the most sure way, but I was curious about the 70.00 dollar check valves in aircraft spruce, has anyone had any experience with them? RLM

Return to “Just Aircraft”