Baggage/cargo dimensions

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
Alejandro

Baggage/cargo dimensions

Post by Alejandro »

Hello
I am interested in a Highlander or SuperStol (still undecided) but I read about the huge cargo capacity everywhere but nowhere what are the actual sizes. Could somebody please measure the length and height of the cargo area? I want to make sure I can fit my mountain bikes and some light camping gear. I hope they fit or I will have to get a gas guzzling/not so stall Maule. Though the Maules are not that bad and have some advantages (cargo doors and extra seats). Highlanders and SuperStols are way more attractive and wings can be folded really easily to put them in sheds if there's a need.
Thanks,
AL
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Re: Baggage/cargo dimensions

Post by SheepdogRD »

The cargo bay is about 42" long from front to rear at the bottom. The seats may lean back into that length, depending on how they're adjusted.

At the bottom front, the bay is about 34" wide and 42" high. At the level of the stringers -- roughly the top of the seats -- it's about 40" wide. At the top of the front, it's about 32-1/2" wide.

The bay is about 23" wide at the bottom of the back. The back panel tapers up to 20-1/2" wide at the top. The bay is about 26-1/2" high at the back.

In the middle of the bay, there's a structural archway that starts at the floor and narrows to 17" wide when 5" from the top, and then runs to the center. That may limit your cargo somewhat. Here's an image of John Cooley's cargo bay with fabric installed:
Cargo Bay Covered - John2 s.jpg
I haven't tried to get a bike in mine, since i'm still building, but you might PM Gary Steube, who's a biker with the handle UserGDS, and ask if he's been able to fit a bike in the back.

Bulky but lightweight items -- like bikes -- might be placed in the cargo bay through the removable turtledeck. You might also install a cargo door.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Holtz
Highlander N570L -- Ms. Tonka -- in gestation

If just enough is really good, then too much ought to be perfect.
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Thank you very much Sheepdog!
Your reply and measurements were really useful, you did a thorough job and explained it in a clear and informative way.
It's a tight fit, for example my bike (Specialized Crave large) is 45" long (so that's a no go), 29" tall from fork base to to of handle bar (no problem there) and 30 from bottom bracket to seat (I could take out the seat or get a dropper post).
I would have to look at one to see if there's a way to make it work.
I wonder if the SuperStol XL has a longer cargo bay. I would like to put two people, two bikes and some light camping gear for a night or two.
Does anybody know how long is it taking to build a Highlander or a SuperStol for those who choose to do it at the factory? How much does Just Aircraft charge for that? I wish they had a system similar to what Glasair has, maybe some day soon...
Some of us have some very bad habits, flying and mountain biking are some of mine! Maybe I'll need rehab?
Thanks again,
Alejandro
danerazz
Veteran Member

Post by danerazz »

Just do like the cub guys and strap the bikes on the struts. FAA doesn't always agree with it though...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dane

Paralysis by analysis
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

For your bike, you might consider that the rear bulkhead of the cargo bay leans back, so you may find the frame fits as is. If that's not the case, you could build a custom rear bulkhead with a shape in it that would not only make space for the bike frame, but perhaps even provide a place to clamp it in. Several builders have made extensions that go back into the fuselage bay aft of that panel. Some builders carry fishing rods that way, and Steve Henry carries a long prop that extends well into that space.

The factory can answer questions about the added length in the SS Stretch.

I think building at the factory is a pretty good idea, because you get ready access to years of experience, and you see how other builders -- and factory builders -- have done things. I live a few hours from the factory; I learn a lot -- and take a bunch of pictures -- every time I go there. It's a congenial and helpful group. As far as I know, you pay a monthly fee to build at the factory. You choose how much time you put into building, so that determines how many months you're there. The time also depends on which options you buy; for instance, quick-build wings reduce the time you put in, but add to the bill for the kit.

There are some excellent build pictures of both Highlander and SuperSTOL on Steve Henry's website at http://www.wildwestaircraft.com/galleries/.
Richard Holtz

FlyerChief
Veteran Member

Post by FlyerChief »

Hi Al,
If you're flying alone, fold the passenger seat down and it should fit with ease. You could try fitting it corner-wise in someone else's plane to check the fit.
Either way, the Highlander and SuperSTOL use the same fuselage, so the dimensions are the same. One exception may be the SuperSTOL stretch, but I don't know where in the fuselage they added the extra two feet of length.
There is an old topic on the forum that talks about fitting mountain bikes in the Highlander where Jak and Dennis comment about there being enough room for two bikes, camping gear and a cooler... http://www.wingsforum.com/viewtopic.php ... ilit=bikes
:D
Dan
When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. ~Henry Ford
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Thanks for the input everybody, I still have to clear some questions with the Dept of Civil Aviation in my country.
Looks like the Kiwis have it easy to get external cargo approved.
Lots of people come with interesting ideas. I still like the idea of fitting the bikes inside the best!
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Other ideas
Alejandro

Post by Alejandro »

Hello.
Sheepdog, I am curious, what material did you use for the sides of the cargo/baggage compartment?
Thanks!
Al
SheepdogRD
Proprietor

Post by SheepdogRD »

Alejandro wrote:... what material did you use for the sides of the cargo/baggage compartment?
The interior fabric is the same Oratex silver that's on the rest of the plane. I'm impressed with its toughness; it seems quite capable of handling stretching and abuse -- which I expect it will get in the cargo bay -- and then recovering its original shape as if nothing had happened.
Richard Holtz

Return to “Just Aircraft”