Dynon Screen Size

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
FredHoffman
Veteran Member

Dynon Screen Size

Post by FredHoffman »

Hi,
Question for those flying with Skyview. Is the 7" screen big enough to fly by? I am about to buy a Skyview system and planning my panel with cutouts and all that data on the 7" screen looks a bit cluttered. I was thinking of a dual 7" setup with one dedicated to a PFD. Can the HSI and the ALT and SPEED tapes size be changed ? I have flown with a D100 in a friends CH750 and it seemed fine but it is a much simpler display with much bigger tapes and numbers from the Skyview panel planner I printed out.

Fred
stede52
Premium Member

Re: Dynon Screen Size

Post by stede52 »

I've been flying behind Dynon Skyviews for 5 years and I love them. I put two 10" in my Highlander which I dedicated one for the GPS (old eyes). My suggestion for the Highlander would be a 10" for the engine and HSI and 7" for the GPS.
Steve D N419LD
gkremers
Veteran Member

Post by gkremers »

Fred,
Just another data point as your planning you panel. I have dual Skyview 10" screens in my RV10 along with a bunch of other stuff. That plane is set up for cross country flying IFR.

Our little fun Highlander is set up for VFR only, mostly trips under 150 miles. With that in mind I installed a minimal panel. The EFIS is GRT 8.4" SportSX. The display can be split to view PFD and MAP, also engine parameters if you choose. I know Dynon can do the same but the presentation is different. The Sport is a simple install as the AHRS is built in, my remote Magnitometer is installed near the wingtip.

Even though it's a basic panel I do have traffic and weather via ADSB, Trigg transponder and Sky Radar.

have fun with the panel design, I always like that part of the build.

Gary
User GDS
Veteran Member

Post by User GDS »

Our little fun Highlander is set up for VFR only, mostly trips under 150 miles. With that in mind I installed a minimal panel.
Yep!

I concur, I have a single 7" Skyview, it is more than enough display for a Highlander. If you install a 7" and split the screen between the PFD and the Engine pages the numbers are pretty good size. (I don't use the GPS navigation page, use a Garmin 296 for that)

If I were doing it again, I'd install a Dynon D180, which has PFD/EFIS only, and an I-Pad with Foreflight or one of the Garmin yolk mounted GPS. For the H, my favorite instrument is looking out the window.

Have fun planning. (When I was planning my panel the timing was right for my annual trip to Oshkosh, that was fun and helpful)

Another thought sorta related, I wear bifocals, I have the Doc make my flying sunglasses so the near vision is optimized for 28", the distance between my eyeballs and the panel.
GDS
So Cal
Highlander #232
Rotax 912ULS, Dynon Skyview

Return to “Just Aircraft”