Alaska Superstol build

For general discussion of the Just Aircraft family of aircraft.
Includes: Highlander, Escapade, Summit and SuperSTOL.
dkshow
Veteran Member

Re: Alaska Superstol build

Post by dkshow »

Oren, my goal is to build as light as I can. I've heard good things about the spoilers but they're also fairly heavy so opted to leave them out.
Keith Showalter
More Photos at www.keithshowalter.com
Anchorage, Alaska Superstol N445K
Built in NC with Rob Pedersen, Plane Fun Aircraft
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I covered both flaps today. I haven't put tapes on my wings or flaps yet as I'm waiting for the preshrunk tapes to arrive. My paint is a darker color so I'm opting for preshrunk tapes. Should be able to cover my ailerons tomorrow unless I get distracted with something else.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

My Dad stopped by for a few days to help out. We put the tapes on both wings today and they're ready for the paint booth. Fun to work with Dad for a few days.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Showalter
R Rinker
Veteran Member

Post by R Rinker »

Keith, I'm just thinking out loud on this...for the sake of those making similar decisions...
You said you opted out on the spoiler because of weight. Well, they do weigh a few lbs. but I have the kit and it's not that much.
I think low speed roll control is one of the most important issues for these type of airplanes. Because they are made for challenging terrain, we often find ourselves in situations of mushing around close to the ground in odd situations. in those times if you are fighting for roll control, especially in gusty cross winds trying to take you off course into the trees or whatever, and you go to full aileron and a lot of rudder because you have to get that wing down or change course some...then that configuration puts enough drag at a time when you are on the edge...well, you see where I'm going with this. You still can't get the wing down and you're holding all that drag. But if the spoilers drop that wing immediately then you go on flying and even under control. Almost sounds too good to be real, but I've heard good reports and believe in them. Slow speed means low airflow over the control surfaces and less effect..so the spoilers reduce the lift on the wing to drop it instead of 'pushing' it down. Anyway, if I'm all wet then someone can straighten me out on this..just thinking out loud..
Rodger Rinker - Rocky Mountain House, Alberta, Canada
SuperFly
Veteran Member

Post by SuperFly »

I weighed the spoiler kit with all the parts before I installed them. Id have to look back through my notes to be absolutely certain, but if memory serves, they weighed 3.6lbs per side. Just for reference.
Best,
Ben Schneider
Highlander #263 converted to SuperSTOL
N45FT Now Flying!
http://www.stolairplane.com
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Another thing that I think is a consideration is the fact that the Helio has them.
Super Stol Kit #299
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

I've heard good things about the spoilers but decided to pass on this build. I suppose you can always add them later with a little work. Robs plane weighed in at 758lbs by being very careful and took 3rd place in Valdez so I'm shooting for a similar finished product.

I'm running tapes on everything now and should be all caught up tomorrow and in the paint booth soon.
Keith Showalter
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Covered my fuselage today, hoping to run tapes tomorrow and be ready for paint soon. Getting psyched up for the next phase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Showalter
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Keith,

You picked up the kit 01/08/2016, and by 02/05/2016, less than 1 month and you are to covering. Looks like you are making great progress. Very impressive. If I decide to build I need to consider Rob Pedersen's Plane Fun builders assist. I'd like to talk with you about the experience. Is the rectangular hole on the side baggage access?

Paul Z
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Paul, that is correct. Ill be running the last of the tapes today and be in the paint booth in less than a month from the start date. Lot of fun! That hole is a baggage door, I'll post some pics as it progresses. I wanted access to the backend for loading gear.
Keith Showalter
AV8R Paul
Veteran Member

Post by AV8R Paul »

Really looks great. I am thinking of selling my Kitfox and getting a SuperSTOL. I am really interested in watching your build. I'll keep watching this thread as your build progresses.
AV8R Paul
Certified Light Sport Repairman LSRM-A
kenryan
Veteran Member

Post by kenryan »

Paul Z wrote: ... If I decide to build I need to consider Rob Pedersen's Plane Fun builders assist ..
Paul Z
I wish I had. Keith your pace is astounding.
Super Stol Kit #299
Gardlander

Post by Gardlander »

Slow down man :wink:
SuperStol #385 Norway
Flying next year
dkshow
Veteran Member

Post by dkshow »

Paul, I can't really say enough good things about Robbys builder assist. His knowledge base is worth it's weight in gold, saves an enormous amount of head scratching time. He's got a fantastic place here in NC with a beautiful hanger and everything you need to crank out an airplane just the way you want it. He knows how to build them light which to me was important as well.

I finished up the tapes on the fuselage today and I'll try to iron it all out tomorrow. I want to put fresh plastic up on the paint booth tomorrow so we should be in the paint phase right away.

I guess I didn't mention we're building two airplanes. His is about two weeks from being all wrapped up. We have a hanger full of airplane fun.
Keith Showalter
moving2time
Veteran Member

Post by moving2time »

Has the engine been mounted to either of the projects? When are you projecting that you will get your's in the air. I didn't think it was possible to move so fast. I know of a couple people that have built their SS or Highlander in less than a year but a couple of months! I know Steve Henry has done it several times but he seems to be able to work on his full time and he knows exactly what he wants. The time you are making is amazing. Don't let your haste short change the photos! Good luck. Joe B

Return to “Just Aircraft”